cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ktola
Level 3

4.0 Installer Appears To Hang

It is not hanging but I am using the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 Full Redistributable in my InstallShield LE project and it does not appear to do anything for an extended perion of time.

Behind the scenes, I know it is installing the .NET framework and I switched from the Web Download to just the regular version so at least the download was not hidden from people but I am still receiving numerous complaints about the installer appearing to hang.

The problem is that there is no message telling people that they will essentially see a green bar go across the status bar for up to 15 minutes while .NET is installed. Is there some way, in LE, to either pop up a message, include some text in the Requirements screen or some other option to let people know that - while the .NET installer appears to hang - it is, in fact working properly?

I have added text to my download page, placed bold disclaimers in my User Guide - nobody reads that stuff so I need to find a way to include some sort of warning diretly in the installation process...

Thanks!
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi,

The Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 Full Redistributable has been configured to run in a reduced UI mode. Hence you are unable to view the progress. In Premier and Professional edition of InstallShield you may configure the prerequisite using the Prerequisite editor option.

Thanks,
Lenwin
0 Kudos
ktola
Level 3

Is there no way to change that mode in LE?
0 Kudos
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi,

Since the prerequisite editor tool is not available in InstallShield Limited Edition,it is not possible to modify the behavior of a prerequisite as in Premier and Professional editions.

Thanks,
Lenwin
0 Kudos
marty
Level 2

I have found the same issue. I just completed beta testing on a software release. The lack of visual feedback that anything was happening during the .NET 4.0 installation made a significant percentage of my test users conclude that that application install had hung up and some of them aborted the install as a result.

It will not be practical to release my software with this default LE edition behavior.

I really would like to not have to recode my project in C++ just to avoid a .NET dependancy.

Has anyone found a solution to this issue?
0 Kudos
ktola
Level 3

My compoany has finally purchased a full license of InstallSheild but we still cannot figure out how to change the UI setting to show a more verbose display while installing the ,NET framework - can you please help?
0 Kudos
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi,

In InstallShield Premier Edition you may pass various command line parameters to the prerequisites through the Prerequisite editor option.

Right click on the prerequisite and select the Edit Prerequisite option.

Navigate to the application to run Tab.

Pass the relevant command line parameters to the Prerequisites.

Kindly post the queries related to InstallShield Premier and Professional edition in the InstallShield 2010 or 2011 forum.

Thanks,
Lenwin
0 Kudos