cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rjv2dlv
Level 3

32 bit and 64 bit in a single installer

Hi,

I am trying to create a single installer which checks if the machine is 32 bit and 64 bit and deploys the files accordingly.
I created 2 features for 32 and 64 bit and added files to be deployed to the feature. But when i install i see that in 32 bit machine, the files are deployed correctly, but in 64 bit machine, both 32 bit and 64 bit files are deployed.
For adding the files, i went to Project assistant -> Application files, selected the feature(32 or 64), and added different files.

Please let me know if i am doing it wrong here or is there any way to do this..

Thanks,
Rajeev.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
ElenaN
Level 6

Go to Installation Designer, Behavior and Logic -> Property Manager. Note what value INSTALLLEVEL property has (usually it’s 100). We will need to know that value later.

Go to Installation Designer, Organization -> Setup Design.
Make sure that:
1) “Required” setting of both features is set to “No”.
2) “Install Level” of both features is higher than INSTALLLEVEL property (for example 200).
3) Condition for 32-bit feature sets Level to 1 (or any other value lower than INSTALLLEVEL) upon condition “Not VersionNT64”.
4) Condition for 64-bit feature sets Level to 1 upon condition “VersionNT64”.
5) 32-bit and 64-bit Components belong to (and only to) corresponding features.

All said is for Basic MSI project type.
0 Kudos
rjv2dlv
Level 3

ElenaN wrote:
Go to Installation Designer, Behavior and Logic -> Property Manager. Note what value INSTALLLEVEL property has (usually it’s 100). We will need to know that value later.

Go to Installation Designer, Organization -> Setup Design.
Make sure that:
1) “Required” setting of both features is set to “No”.
2) “Install Level” of both features is higher than INSTALLLEVEL property (for example 200).
3) Condition for 32-bit feature sets Level to 1 (or any other value lower than INSTALLLEVEL) upon condition “Not VersionNT64”.
4) Condition for 64-bit feature sets Level to 1 upon condition “VersionNT64”.
5) 32-bit and 64-bit Components belong to (and only to) corresponding features.

All said is for Basic MSI project type.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply..

Am currently able to make these changes. But i am seeing that for a 64 bit machine, whether 32 bit or 64 bit application is being installed, the install directory is Program Files(x86). I want that 32 bit installation files be installed under Program Files(x86) and 64 bit files be installed under Program Files.
Can this be achieved ?

Thanks,
Raeev.
0 Kudos
ElenaN
Level 6

Windows Installer does not allow targeting 64-bit Program Files from 32-bit msi packages.
It’s possible to install to both Program Files and Program Files(x86) from 64-bit msi package. But 64-bit msi can’t be used to install on 32-bit OSes. So you might need to build two msi packages – 32 and 64 bit.
0 Kudos