cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andrew_Blake
Level 2

0x80040708 Error (Unable to create required engine components)

Threads mainly for V11.5 mention the following error message, however I am experiencing it with 2009 Premium. I thought this was supposed to have been fixed in V12 - can someone tell me how to resolve this please?

Error experienced with Xp Pro:

"Error Number: 0x80040708
Description: Unable to create required engine components, check whether you have appropirate priveleges to create COM components. (0x80004005)
Unspecified error

Setup will now terminate."

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

The engine does still use COM (the COM information is stored in-process instead of being registered physically on the machine starting with IS 12) and can be affected by COM permissions or missing COM libraries (stdole.tlb, for example). These issues tend to rarely occur, however, since the engine was changed in IS 12. The issues with engine initialization we are seeing these days is related to virus scanners erroneously flagging InstallScript engine files as potential viruses, which then prevents the engine from launching properly.

Is this occurring on one machine or multiple? Can you provide the full error details?
0 Kudos
Andrew_Blake
Level 2

So far on one machine only - error as stated below. I will try to visit the user and inspect his machine next week. He'd advised as follows:

"Got to 85% real quick then stalled. Ended up with the following "unhandled exception"

Error Number: 0x80040708
Description: Unable to create required engine components, check whether you have appropirate priveleges to create COM components. (0x80004005)
Unspecified error

Setup will now terminate.
"
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

The error you are seeing could be caused by the InstallScript engine failing to create an instance of the COM interface used to handle certain user interface operations. Typically this issue has only been seen when running InstallScript code in custom actions from MSI projects. However, it could feasibly occur in an InstallScript project. There are a couple possible causes for the behavior you are seeing but I haven't been able to reproduce any issues with these triggers (one would be from a DEP induced crash in the code that creates the UI object, another would be denying COM permissions for SELF and SYSTEM; generally the engine isn't affected by these issues any more).

Can you reproduce this behavior with a sample project on this machine?
0 Kudos
Pratiky47
Level 2

I m facing same problem when i try to install Tom Clancy's Enwar ...This never happen to me before ...and i dont how to solve this error when i go to install the game it start preparing Installshield wizard and after complete 3/4 it stop and not respond ..and after 10 or 12 minutes ..
so plz tell me how i resolve it.. 😞
0 Kudos