cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tfromm1
Level 7

uninstall log file?

Exists in IA2008 an option which creates an uninstaller log file during (or at end of) uninstallation?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

I'm not sure if such a thing has been implemented in IA2008 but I'm afraid this makes sense only to a developper, the end-user when uninstalls an application, they expect to see no file left behind (hence no Uninstall log).
0 Kudos
tfromm1
Level 7

At InstallShield MP there was an option, simply to activate debug output at installation/deinstallation.

That was very useful, especially when customers has problems on their computers with the installer/deinstaller.

ATM I need it for debugging purposes. I have several problems at feature deinstallation (e.g. files/menu entries still left on the windows computer but reported to be deinstalled...)
0 Kudos
purcellk24
Level 7

You can still hold down the CRTL button as soon as the Uninstaller is launched. That will bring up a debug console. That may help a little bit.
0 Kudos
tfromm1
Level 7

Unfortunality not 😞

It says "RepositoryManager repository successfully written to stable storage".

And a warning than the specified install set could not be found and he uses default.

But the problem still exists: some functions are uninstalled very well, some others not :-(.
0 Kudos
qqqqqq
Level 7

pv7721 wrote:
I'm not sure if such a thing has been implemented in IA2008 but I'm afraid this makes sense only to a developper, the end-user when uninstalls an application, they expect to see no file left behind (hence no Uninstall log).

But .. during uninstallation i execute some custom code...
e.g. i need to delete some database.. so if it fails . i should be able to log it.. and warn the user
0 Kudos
MEinstaller
Level 7

If you set the debug variable on Unix (LAX_DEBUG I believe, doublecheck in the docs) or if you hold Ctrl while double clicking the uninstall.exe the uninstaller will start in debug mode and print out error messages you have put in your custom code.
0 Kudos
qqqqqq
Level 7

but i can not expect the user pressing CTRL button. I need to log it for user.
0 Kudos
MEinstaller
Level 7

Perhaps you could catch the error in your custom code and use a popup dialog to inform the user of the failure. I mean it's java code so you can create your own log file outside of IA if you want to.
0 Kudos