cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nosrednayduj
Level 7

speed folder size limit?

I'm using speedfolders for all my installers. One of them is kind of huge (15MB in 201 folders containing 2605 files). I've come across a really strange issue which is that I tried to install into a preexisting sparse directory which contained three of these files with newer write dates, expecting to be prompted about overwriting the files (I wanted to say "no"). And I was --- for TWO of them! But the third was silently overwritten.

I don't get it. They're inside the SAME speed folder. The write dates on the source of the folder are substantially similar (within 10 minutes of each other). The write dates on the destination folder files are identical and about two days later than the source folder dates. I have "preserve timestamp" selected in my file settings,and "overwrite if older, prompt if newer". Even more strangely, if you look at an install log that lists the files as installed, the overwritten file is at about the 25% mark, while the prompted-for files are at about the 95% mark.

So color me clueless. What could be different about these different subdirectories? My only guess is that something goes awry when a speedfolder is this big. But I have no evidence for that, other than that my tests worked fine on a smaller installer and not in the real product. I guess I'll try splitting it up into a dozen speedfolders, one for each of its subdirectories, but of course I'd rather not do that, because who knows when a developer could add another subdirectory without telling me and then I have to scramble to catch up?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
nosrednayduj
Level 7

Well, color me stupid. It turns out that there was an action that I'd forgotten about to "clean out" a directory before reinstalling -- one that I evidently shouldn't have cleaned! So, never mind, there's no bug here.
0 Kudos