cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
experimenter
Level 4

installation destination folder

Hello,

I am using a built-in panel for choosing an installation folder. It just has a text and two buttons: Restore to default and Choose...
Is it possible to tweak the panel, so that I could warn the user if they install to a non-empty folder or to a folder unacceptable in some sense?
Or is the only way is to write a custom panel?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

What I do is the following: right after the panel I call a little custom code that I've wrote, that verifies that the path is not a relative one, and for one of our installers, if the path does not contain spaces. Based on the results of these tests (i.e. if any of them fails I set a $RETRY$ variable to true. And based on this variable being true I use the Display Message Dialog: if the information entered in the previous panel is wrong (i.e. $RETRY$ has been set to true by the custom code, the user is informed and by clicking OK they're redirected to the previous panel, which is the one asking for the user installation folder, where they have to enter again the information).
0 Kudos
experimenter
Level 4

pv7721 wrote:
What I do is the following: right after the panel I call a little custom code that I've wrote, that verifies that the path is not a relative one, and for one of our installers, if the path does not contain spaces. Based on the results of these tests (i.e. if any of them fails I set a $RETRY$ variable to true. And based on this variable being true I use the Display Message Dialog: if the information entered in the previous panel is wrong (i.e. $RETRY$ has been set to true by the custom code, the user is informed and by clicking OK they're redirected to the previous panel, which is the one asking for the user installation folder, where they have to enter again the information).

Cool stuff! Thanks very much for the tip. I will try it and see how it looks like. Thanks very much again.
0 Kudos
experimenter
Level 4

pv7721 wrote:
And based on this variable being true I use the Display Message Dialog: if the information entered in the previous panel is wrong (i.e. $RETRY$ has been set to true by the custom code, the user is informed and by clicking OK they're redirected to the previous panel, which is the one asking for the user installation folder, where they have to enter again the information).

How do you perform the redirect?
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Just look at the Show Message Dialog Action, it can have 3 buttons. Enable the 1st one and notice that on the right you have the 1st option, ", if chosen, Return to the Previous Panel".
0 Kudos
experimenter
Level 4

pv7721 wrote:
Just look at the Show Message Dialog Action, it can have 3 buttons. Enable the 1st one and notice that on the right you have the 1st option, ", if chosen, Return to the Previous Panel".

Thank you!
0 Kudos