cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
james_decosta
Level 9

i am installing jdk 1.5 on a machine

hi,
it may sound absurd but i am installing jdk 1.5 on a machine.
I would like to know what all registry entries i need to make for jdk on windows.
james
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

Hello James. Actually it doesn't sound absurd at all. But I wonder, why don't you use the JDK installer? You could use and execute command and wait for the JDK installation to finish before proceeding with your installer.
0 Kudos
ridch01
Level 5

I think you can also get away without using the registry for the JDK. I believe you just need to set up a few environment variables (PATH, JAVA_HOME).
0 Kudos
Yves_Kreis
Level 7

Not if you want to use applets...

Best Regards,
Yves
0 Kudos
james_decosta
Level 9

hi ridch,
i do the same thing that is i set the PATH and JAVA_HOME.
Is that enough for installing jdk.
And one more problem is if execute the jdk installer how shall i make the user to wait till the installation of the jdk is over.
james.
0 Kudos
ridch01
Level 5

Yves indicates my approach might not work with applets. I'd keep this in mind.

To make the installer wait until the third party install is done, I check the box "suspend installation until process completes" (in the exec command dialog). I am using this to install Microsoft runtimes and a few other components.

I am mistaken as well. I'm installing a JRE - not the JDK. For my purposes, I use relative paths in the installer. Tomcat, JSW, and my other java apps are working ok with the relative path. I simply copy the JRE - I don't install it.
0 Kudos
Yves_Kreis
Level 7

As long as you consider the JRE for your application(s) only, everything is fine. Just do not consider it as system wide installation.

Best Regards,
Yves
0 Kudos
james_decosta
Level 9

hi,
even i am copying the jdk folder simply on the client machine.
Is my approach wrong somewhere ?
Or shall i start the java installer when the prop.java.vm.version does not equal 1.5.0_08.
Any ways what i do now is i have made a folder called mine which contains jdk
I copy it in the user install directory and make JAVA_HOME point to
$USER_INSTALL_DIR$$\$jdk.
And i append the $USER_INSTALL_DIR$$\$jdk$\$bin to the path.
And as far as i believe it works fine or shall start the installer of jdk.
OK can i make any registry entries for java so that it works fine
0 Kudos