cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
saharey
Level 3

Win64 is not supported

Hi All,

We have installer with IA 2009. Our installer is happy while installing on Win2008 64 bit with 64bit JVM, but while uninstall it throws error:

"Win64 is not supported. The author of package you are installing did not include support for this platform".

I was going through the threads and found that people has same issue with IA8, but did not got the solution to this problem. While investigating on this issue I found that if I edit VM path in “uninstall.lax” file under “Uninstall” with path where JVM is not present then click on uninstaller.exe than I am able to launch the uninstall, this is how I tried updating my lax file.

lax.nl.current.vm=C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jdk1.6.0_16\\bin\\java.exe
to
lax.nl.current.vm=C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jdk1.6.0_16\\bin\\test\\java.exe

I am stuck to this, can anyone provide any input or solution will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Saharey
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(13) Replies
jerome_IA
Level 9

This also happens when installing using 32-bit jvm then switching jvm to 64-bit but this is not the case according to your explanations.

Anyway I guess the issue is that you do not have the "iawin64_x64.dll" into $USER_INSTALL_DIR$/uninstall/resource/ (you probably have "iawin32.dll"). If this is true, then you can add the file during installation phase ... it should allow uninstall in 64-bit.

Jerome
0 Kudos
gordchung
Level 3

hi jerome,

i am having the same issue. apologies if the answer is obvious, but could you explain how to add iawin64_x64.dll file in installation phase? is this a setting that needs to be configured?

thanks,
0 Kudos
jerome_IA
Level 9

Get the 64-bit dll you need from: C:\Program Files\.....\InstallAnywhere \resource\nativetools\windows

In Install tab of InstallAnywhere, select the "uninstall" folder and put this "iawin64_x64.dll" into subfolder called "resource". Add the correct rules for this action to match your project needs.
0 Kudos
gordchung
Level 3

it appears to work now! thank you for the help.
0 Kudos
aaaphale
Level 3

Hi Jerome,

I am also facing same problem. I am using InstallAnywhere 2008 VP1.
I have bundled VM with installer. Installation on 64-bit is fine. But uninstallation gives following error,

'the author of the package you are installing did not include support for this platform'.

When I copied iawin64_x64.dll to resource direcory under uninstall dir, uninstallation was successful.

If I don't bundle VM with installer, both installation and uninstall is successful.
No error is shown.

Can you please clarify?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
jerome_IA
Level 9

You said:
------------------------------------------------
If I don't bundle VM with installer, both installation and uninstall is successful.
No error is shown.

Can you please clarify?
------------------------------------------------

So you don't have any problem ? :confused:
0 Kudos
aaaphale
Level 3

I do not understand how bundling or not bundling of VM with installer makes difference to Uninstallation on 64 bit systems.

Also, i tried solution gievn by you earlier. I copied iawin64_x64.dll to resource directory under Uninstall directory. After I did this, uninstallaion started successfully. Files were deleted but registry entries created by installer were not deleted.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

There is a difference in bundling or not bundling a VM: in the first case a special VM pack is used at install time, and it is unpacked before launching the installer. There is a special procedure in building custom VM packs (and I think that normally the same procedure is used by Flexera Software when they build the VM packs they make available on their website (see for instance here: http://www.flexerasoftware.com/products/installanywhere/files-utilities.htm#WINDOWS_AMD (as you can see they don't provide many 64bits VM packs, on one hand, and on the other hand they're supposedly tested before being released) And in the second case, when no VM is bundled, the installer attempts to find a suitable VM in order to run... and there might be less control (i.e. for instance a 32 bit JVM can be used instead of a desired 64 bit).
0 Kudos
aaaphale
Level 3

Thanks for reply.

When I checked installer, I found that I have selected to bundle VM with installer in Project -> Java tab, I am building installer with 'With VM' option in Build tab. But in Organisation - > Components tab, InstallAnywhere VM Component was not assigned to any feature. When I assigned it to feature, Uninstallation on 64 bit OS started working fine.

Still not very clear what bundling VM has to do with this.
0 Kudos
aaaphale
Level 3

One more thing...

If I choose not to bundle VM with installer, both installation and uninstallation are fine. But registry entries are made under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE and not under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node.

Does this mean 64 bit OS treating my application as 64 bit application?

If VM is bundled, resitry entries are made under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node.
0 Kudos
TedMacomber
Level 3

okay... and why doesn't Flexera do this for us ?

Why do we have to do this ?
0 Kudos
ratan4268
Level 3

Hi,

How can I add iawin64_64x.dll in the resource folder under Uninstall. I don't see any subfolder named resource in Uninstall through IA. What rules I need to add
to include the file in resource sub folder.
Thanks a lot in advance.

Ratnesh
0 Kudos
redhawk87
Level 2

I faced this same issue on IA 2012. This is my thoughts on the issue for anyone curious. I have not thoroughly tested this theory yet so it may not be correct, but it makes sense to me:

I bundle a 32-bit VM with my windows installers (choosing 'with VM'). If you also select for this VM to be installed on the system (under Project->JVM settings), then this works fine because the uninstaller uses the exact same VM the installer used. If you bundle a 32-bit VM, then the uninstaller will always use that 32-bit VM. If you do not select to install the bundled VM, then the bundled VM is only used during installation and is then deleted. That means the uninstaller will have to search the machine for a jre to use.

IA assumes that if you package a 32-bit VM, then the uninstaller will use a 32-bit VM as well and therefore does not need the 64-bit dll. This is the wrong assumption as a 32-bit installer run on a 64-bit machine could use a 64-bit jre. This is why you need to manually add the 64-bit dll to your install section.
0 Kudos