cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Loiseau
Level 4

What is the best way to upgrade a software ?

Hi all,

Installing a new software on a target machine is pretty easy,
but, how to deal with software upgrade ?

Of course, we suppose 'upgrade' does not mean 'just replace'.
For instance, suppose that the software is delivered along with some settings and end users can adapt those settings to their needs.

What is needed is a mechanism to save personal data in the 'pre-install' phase
and re-inject it in the 'post-install' phase.

What I want to do is:
- use instance management (single instance, overwrite allowed) to force users to upgrade into the same directory that the product was installed for the first time.
- export data to be saved during 'pre-install' phase
- install new database (and new software)
- import saved data during 'post-install' phase.

Could you tell me if it is the right way to do it ?
I haven't found anybody talking about it in the documentation and the forums, although this is a very common problem.

Thank you for your help
Loiseau
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Loiseau
Level 4

oops,

I forgot to specify that I think using the 'add new feature' of the maintenance mode, this way:
- allow add new feature
- change the labels to 'upgrade to a new version'
- test the installation mode against 'add new feature' to know whether saving personal data (or restoring during the 'post-install' phase).

Could you tell me if using the 'add new feature' option this way is a good idea ?

Of course, my installer does not need features, so it is available.

Thank you for your help

Loiseau
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hey Loiseau,
I am doing the same exact thing. I wrote a front end app that checks the apps version and if it is old it downloads the latest AI installer for the application. Now, I am attempting to use the maintenance mode from the command line, "install.exe Change \"Signal Publisher\" -repair". I am just looking to overwrite files using a "Check Running Rule Mode" and if the file is newer then that currently installed, replace it.

The point of all of this is to update the application to automatically update without user interaction.

Unfortunately, the installer runs but never updates the files. I am going to continue to try different things but did you have any luck getting IA to upgrade your files? Did "add new feature" work? Did you have any other ideas

Thanks!
0 Kudos