cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bobdux
Level 4

What are AG- components?

I see a bunch of AG- components in my Organization->Components list. I also read how "This component was automatically created when the developer assigned actions to features."

My questions are:
- what are these components?
- what do they do?
- should I keep my hands off them?

Any any other advice or insight on how to treat them.

Thanks a bunch
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

I think the idea is that files and actions need to be attached to components; features and install sets are just there for show, to make it easier for the user to choose what to install.

If you want to create or reuse your own components to contain your actions, in the Install task you can change the Assign to value from "Product Features" to "Components", and make it explicit which component should contain the action.
0 Kudos
bobdux
Level 4

Robert,

Thanks for the reply. I understand your answer, but I still don't have a nice warm fuzzy feeling about these auto-generated AG- components.

For one thing, I don't know if I can modify them or delete them or should I just leave them alone. Why have them in the first place?

Regarding your suggestion about the "Assign to:" features or components, I experimented with this, but unfortunately regardless of what I'm looking at when I save, the IDE _always_ starts up with "Assign to: Features".

Still not sure what I should do with the AG- components...
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

I expect you can rename the auto-generated components, but shouldn't delete them: IA needs to attach the actions in the Install task to some component or other.

You can use Edit > Preferences > General Settings to control whether features or components are displayed in the Install task.
0 Kudos
bobdux
Level 4

Robert,

Thanks, I think it finally sunk into my skull.

I did the following:
I removed the AG- components
(even though you said to keep them, but I did the next steps as well)
I set my preferences to assign actions to components
I checked the appropriate boxes for actions/components.
I saved the project.
I opened the project
- no AG- Components.
- the "assign to:" showed the right comps and checks.

I think I'm back on track.

Thanks a bunch!
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Okay, yes, quite right---if you attach actions to other existing or new components, you can safely delete the AG components. The only requirement is that the actions are attached to some component or other.

Thanks for posting the follow-up!

Robert
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

0 Kudos