cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
risotto
Level 3

Uninstaller action

I need to execute shell script and do custom actions during uninstallation (not before and not after uninstallation). It is critical to do much the same operations during uninstallation like during installation. Is it possible to do in IA 8 or IA 2008?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Yves_Kreis
Level 7

What is the problem of doing them after the last panel of Pre-Uninstall or before the first panel of Post-Uninstall?

Best Regards,
Yves
0 Kudos
risotto
Level 3

Well, it seems strange that there are install, pre-install and post-install steps, but it is lack of uninstall step. One would expect if there is install, there would be uninstall step too.
Let's suppose you are right, that I could implement my uninstallation in pre-uninstall or post-uninstall. I've got another question: why shall we use install step instead of pre-install or post-install steps? This means that we don't need install step at all...
I think it is inconsistent to support two different ways if one need to implement installer and uninstaller. It would be nice to have more control of what happens during uninstallation.
0 Kudos
Yves_Kreis
Level 7

Oh, I finally see your problem. Please bear in mind that all install steps (including custom code) are reversed during uninstall!

So you can pass a variable to your shell script and deceide if it should execute its install or uninstall part. Custom code has the separation of the 2 by default.

Best Regards,
Yves
0 Kudos
risotto
Level 3

Your are speaking about custom code now. I do understand that those custom code actions that were registered during installation will be triggered during uninstallation. That's clear.
But I have a problem of another sort. In my case the very installation is implemented with the help of Ant. InstallAnywhere just collects user information and calls Ant build file. This way InstallAnywhere can't track what folders were added, what has been changed, etc. During uninstallation I need to remove directories correspondent to the products to be uninstalled. I have to do it manually, but unfortunately I'm not able to add custom actions (e.g. Delete folder) like in install step. Did you have similar use cases? What can you suggest?
0 Kudos
risotto
Level 3

By the way, one of the things that confused me for almost two weeks not mentioned in Q000085. I had a very similar problem described in this ticket.
The problem is that when you have several features and you write install steps, choosing on what feature this or that install step must be performed. When you start checking check boxes, new components are created behind the scene. Some of them can be temporary, unwanted and unnecessary (like in my case) what causes some problems during uninstallation (I guess it is because of dependency detection). I believe I am not the first who was confused by this...

Kind regards,
Vitaliy Kovalenko
0 Kudos