cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
satish_mutyam
Level 2

Problem while upgrading from IA8.0 to IA2009

I am moving my project from IA8.0 to IA2009. During this process i am facing some issue as listed below.
On Windows environment, i am defining some of the variables in pre-install section using "set IA Multiple Variable action". For Example,
INSTALL_LOG_DESTINATION variable with value $USER_MAGIC_FOLDER_10$$/$details.log, in pre-install section in the begining of this section. I assigned USER_MAGIC_FOLDER_10 value after this action(assume that at the end of pre-install section), and used this INSTALL_LOG_DESTINATION in install or post-install section. But when i try to display this(INSTALL_LOG_DESTINATION) in install section i am getting only "/details.log" as a value.

Please suggest me where i am doing wrong or is there any solution to solve this problem.

Thanks,
M.Satish
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

Well, what can I say else but "finally someone that got the same issue that I had when upgrading from IA 8."

So here are my conclusions: in IA 8 they used to have some late variable initialization i.e. you could set right from the start $INSTALL_LOG_DESTINATION$ to anything you would like, like in your case to $USER_MAGIC_FOLDER_10$$/$details.log and once $USER_MAGIC_FOLDER_10$ is defined, $INSTALL_LOG_DESTINATION$ is defined as well.

Well, it seems that right from IA 2008 they've completely reversed this philosophy: they evaluate as soon as possible variables, so most likely when you set the $INSTALL_LOG_DESTINATION$, $USER_MAGIC_FOLDER_10$ is not yet defined (this was my case, anyway).

So my workaround was to set the $INSTALL_LOG_DESTINATION$ as the last operation in the Pre-Install Task. thus making sure that the variables involved were already set.

On the other hand, I always thought that $INSTALL_LOG_DESTINATION$ was setting only where the log file should be created and that there was a different variable ($INSTALL_LOG_NAME$?) if you wanted to change its name.
0 Kudos
satish_mutyam
Level 2

Thank you, i will try with the same. But the problem is that it's very difficult and time consuming process to check for each and every variable, if its a big project. i am just looking for simplest solution.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Unfortunately, there isn't any, if they've made this change: you have to check, maybe using the Output Debug Information, the value of your variables, and maybe change the order of some operations. In my case $INSTALL_LOG_DESTINATION$ was the only impacted variable.
0 Kudos