cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vikram_Gosain
Level 6

Not able to create a Quick Launch Shortcut

Hi
I am creating a PC installer.I am not able to create a Quick Launch shortcut while installing it on windows xp.It says.

FOLDER CHECK
The specified folder is not writable.Please select another folder.

Can anyone please help.?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(14) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

From the error I would say that you're running you're installer from a non-admin user... or that there is a permission problem on the respective folder.
0 Kudos
Vikram_Gosain
Level 6

pv7721 wrote:
From the error I would say that you're running you're installer from a non-admin user... or that there is a permission problem on the respective folder.

Vlad
I checked my windows login permissions and it seems to me that I have Administrative rights.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Vikram Gosain wrote:
Hi
I am creating a PC installer.I am not able to create a Quick Launch shortcut while installing it on windows xp.It says.

FOLDER CHECK
The specified folder is not writable.Please select another folder.

Can anyone please help.?

And the error you had in red was marked as such in installation logs or if not, how did you get it?
0 Kudos
Vikram_Gosain
Level 6

pv7721 wrote:
And the error you had in red was marked as such in installation logs or if not, how did you get it?

I got the error when I was trying to create install my product and I got an option of creating the shortcut.This error message popped up in a dialog box.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Would it be possible for you to post your project?
0 Kudos
Vikram_Gosain
Level 6

pv7721 wrote:
Would it be possible for you to post your project?

I am extremely sorry Vlad.Because of security reasons I can't do that.

-Vikram
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

They I recommend you to double check your project because I haven't heard of such a built in popup error, unless you do some kind of special treatment in case of writing error. Or you can contact the Acresso Software support, but more likely they will also ask for the IA project.
0 Kudos
purcellk24
Level 7

or can you post a sample project that replicates the issue?
0 Kudos
Vikram_Gosain
Level 6

purcellk24 wrote:
or can you post a sample project that replicates the issue?

There is this another strange issue which I faced.I created a folder and right clicked the folder and changed the icon.After that I tried installing my project exe giving the same folder and it gave me the same exception.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

I'm afraid that this thread becomes a little too confusing to follow: you've started by saying you're getting a popup (which is not an exception!) and now it evoluated in folder creation, icon change and exception?!? Again, can you post a sample project that reproduces your issue(s)?
0 Kudos
Vikram_Gosain
Level 6

pv7721 wrote:
I'm afraid that this thread becomes a little too confusing to follow: you've started by saying you're getting a popup (which is not an exception!) and now it evoluated in folder creation, icon change and exception?!? Again, can you post a sample project that reproduces your issue(s)?

Vlad
My Bad.I was clubbing two problems in this thread.There are two issues I am facing but both are similar.

Issue 1.)When I try to select the Quick Launch Bar as my shortcut option then I get a popup window which says that "The specified folder is not writable.Please select another folder"

Issue 2.)I create a simple folder and right click and change the customize tab I change the icon of that folder.Then I give this folder as my install location and I get the same exception.

I have attached the snapshot of the exception window I get in both the cases.

-Vikram
0 Kudos
Vikram_Gosain
Level 6

Vikram Gosain wrote:
Vlad
My Bad.I was clubbing two problems in this thread.There are two issues I am facing but both are similar.

Issue 1.)When I try to select the Quick Launch Bar as my shortcut option then I get a popup window which says that "The specified folder is not writable.Please select another folder"

Issue 2.)I create a simple folder and right click and change the customize tab I change the icon of that folder.Then I give this folder as my install location and I get the same exception.

I have attached the snapshot of the exception window I get in both the cases.

-Vikram

Do we still need a sample project.??.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Does this happen on a single machine or on more than one? On what Windows (XP, Vista etc.?)
0 Kudos
Vikram_Gosain
Level 6

pv7721 wrote:
Does this happen on a single machine or on more than one? On what Windows (XP, Vista etc.?)

This happens on all machines who have windows xp.I havent tested it on Windows Vista.
0 Kudos