cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qqqqqq
Level 7

Logging in IA

Default log output which IA generates only contains error strings or system.out.print()

1. What is the best way create logs of your installation?

2. I tried CustomError class.
In This class...Is there any way to get timestamp , error level, etc ?

or i need to use some standard java loggers?

3. Where is the Uninstall log created?

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
qqqqqq
Level 7

any clue on this?
0 Kudos
Frenchy
Level 5

qqqqqq, Did you ever get a solution for this? I need a log file for the same reason that you do, to debug some custom java code. How did you handle this in general? any help would be appreciated. Thanks
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

1. Normally the standard IA logs should be enough.

2. The error level is set by the programmer, but you cannot set a timestamp (as you don't have it in the standard IA log either).

3. AFAIK there is no uninstallation log (somewhat obvious, as the uninstall is removing files, not installing new ones! 🙂
0 Kudos
Frenchy
Level 5

1. Normally the standard IA logs should be enough.

Where are the standard IA logs during the uninstall?

The problem is that I have some custom java code that is being called and I can not tell if it is blowing up because it cannot find the uninstall.jar file which contains my custom code or if it is blowing up inside the custom code. This is the reason I asked for troublshooting tips. or advise on how other have created logging or log files. surely I am not the first person that needs this information at uninstall time.

0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Is your code pre or post uninstall?
0 Kudos
qqqqqq
Level 7

Frenchy wrote:
qqqqqq, Did you ever get a solution for this? I need a log file for the same reason that you do, to debug some custom java code. How did you handle this in general? any help would be appreciated. Thanks

hi Frenchy,
I am using the CustomError class for logging during installation..
About the uninstaller logs... you can use system.out.println().. and ... launch uninstaller.exe + PRESS CTRL button...
you can see the those println in a command promt..
this is best i found...
let us know, if you have any better option..?
0 Kudos