cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tarun91
Level 4

Linux shortcut not working

Hi,

I created one installer (for linux and windows both) using InstallAnywhere which creates a text file. In Windows, it's working perfectly. When i installed it in linux, it installed properly but on clicking on Desktop Shortcut (that this installer created on installation), four options are coming.

1. Run
2. Run in terminal
3. Cancel
4. Display

On clicking on Display, one shell-script file opens (shell-scripts written already in this file). On clicking on Run, nothing happens. on clicking on Run in terminal, terminal opens for a fraction of second and disappears, but nothing happens.

In Installation directory, running the installation file, new fine generates (i.e. purpose is solved) but Desktop shortcut is giving the expected result.

What can be problem and it's solution?

PS: Desktop shortcut has 755 permission, i am logged in as Administrator and Link Target of this shortcut is same file which on running is giving correct result.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
jerome_IA
Level 9

Can you post the script you are trying to run ?

You can add a a pause at the end of your script so when running in terminal, it will display the error (e.g. 'read -p "Press ENTER " foo') or you can redirect output & errors to some file.

If the script works from original location, then I guess you have some wrong path define.

Jerome
0 Kudos
tarun91
Level 4

I am using Ubuntu linux. When i run the Desktop shortcut using terminal i.e. (./MyProject), I am getting expected result. But, when i double click on Desktop Shortcut, same thing happened as mentioned in previous post (by me).

When i click on display in Desktop Shortcut, The attached script appears.
I have attached the script as text file.

What is wrong in it? How can i fix it?
0 Kudos
jerome_IA
Level 9

Try debuging your script by adding "set -x" to the beginning of you script (after #!/bin/sh)

Then add 'read -p "Press ENTER " foo' command before some (or all) of the exit commands inside the script.

Then executing shortcut via "Run in terminal" should display the reason of the exit (terminal should stay opened due to the read command (NB: read command does not work with "Run", only with "Run in terminal" as it require tty)).
0 Kudos