cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sajidr
Level 3

Launchanywhere Taskbar Window Group Title

I recently ported my application from InstallAnywhere 5 to InstallAnywhere 8. My application potentially displays multiple windows simultaneously. Using an InstallAnywhere 5 generated Launchanywhere, when multiple windows were displayed XP grouped them into one group called "Launchanywhere". An InstallAnywhere 8 generated Launchanwhere displays the word "java" as the taskbar window group name.

My users, being the nit-picking individuals they are, have decided this is unacceptable. I would liek a reasonable solution around this problem.

From what I have read in the forums I gather that newer versions of Launchanywhere create a JVM by forking a process. Older versions created the VM in process. A post on the old ZeroG forum stated that one could potentially copy the old Launchanwhere executables under the windows/resources/ directory, and possibly retain the old behavior. I'll try this option, but with great trepidation.

What I'm really looking for is a more reasonable solution that would allow me to control the taskbar group name in XP and Vista, without changing my actual InstallAnywhere product installation.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
sajidr
Level 3

Since I wasn't able to get an official solution to the problem, I ended up repackaging the JRE for Windows. I opened up java.exe and javaw.exe in a resource editor and changed the description and icon resources, and the repackaged the modified executables in a VM pack.

This works for me so far. The only thing to worry about is that Windows caches icons, and you may need to delete the cache and reboot in order to see the effect of your repackaged VM.
0 Kudos