cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cpaine
Level 4

Is it possible to allow a user to select multiple shortcuts at install time?

I would like a user to be able to select multiple shortcuts at install time. For example, on Windows, I would like to allow the user to select a Desktop shortcut, AND a Start Menu shortcut, AND a Quick Launch shortcut, or any combination of these. I have not been able to find out how to do this using InstallAnywhere. Is it possible?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

In the Install task, instead of having a single shortcut in $USER_SHORTCUTS$, perhaps create separate shortcuts in $DESKTOP$ and the other destinations. You could then add a Get User Input panel with three check boxes, each of which will set a variable; and add a rule to each shortcut that tests the corresponding variable?
0 Kudos
cpaine
Level 4

RobertDickau wrote:
In the Install task, instead of having a single shortcut in $USER_SHORTCUTS$, perhaps create separate shortcuts in $DESKTOP$ and the other destinations. You could then add a Get User Input panel with three check boxes, each of which will set a variable; and add a rule to each shortcut that tests the corresponding variable?

Thanks for the information Robert. I can confirm that it is possible to do this, although the look and feel of the Get User Input panel doesn't quite match the standard panels, so it is a less than ideal solution, but at least it works. To be honest I would have expected this sort of functionality to be provided as standard in install software.
0 Kudos
absials
Level 2

Hi,
I am using InstallShield 2009 (Pro). I am not expert in InstallShield.
Please can you people guide me through the steps, how to allow end user to select where to put the shortcuts i.e. at desktop, in start menu, quick launch etc.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

absials wrote:
Hi,
Please can you people guide me through the steps, how to allow end user to select where to put the shortcuts i.e. at desktop, in start menu, quick launch etc.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,

If you're using InstallShield then I'm afraid you've posted in the wrong forum (this is InstallAnywhere 2008 users' forum).
0 Kudos
cpaine
Level 4

absials wrote:
Hi,
Thanks in advance.
Regards,

I'll assume you are using InstallAnywhere, and not InstallShield. What I did was add a "Get User Input - Advanced" panel to the pre-install actions. I added some checkboxes to this panel to allow the user to choose where they wanted their shortcuts. This results in variables like $USER_INPUT_RESULTS_BOOLEAN_1$ being set to 0 or 1 depending on the user choice. In the Install task I have various shortcuts being installed, but with rules that test the value of $USER_INPUT_RESULTS_BOOLEAN_N$. Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
raja_tiwari
Level 3

Hi Everybody,
I am unable to make multiple short cuts for the installer.
Suppose i want to have a short cut at program group and at the same time
also on Desktop.How would i do that?
I can create custom panel but i dont know how to assign
multiple values to $USER_SHORTCUTS$, variable?
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
cpaine
Level 4

raja_tiwari wrote:

I am unable to make multiple short cuts for the installer.
Suppose i want to have a short cut at program group and at the same time
also on Desktop.How would i do that?
I can create custom panel but i dont know how to assign
multiple values to $USER_SHORTCUTS$, variable?
Any suggestions?

I don't think you can assign multiple values to $USER_SHORTCUTS$. The way I did it was to have separate shortcuts for each potential location, e.g. $DESKTOP$ and $WIN_START_MENU$ etc., and then put a rule on each one to check what the user selected in the Get User Input panel.
0 Kudos