cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
webwater
Level 3

Installing only selected files from rules variable

In the Visual tree, there are files mapped to Product Featues, which is correct behavior. The question is how can I stop a file from installing although it is listed in the product features. I have tried using a variable in the rule for the file but it will still install the file. Any sugestions? Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

Well, if you do not want the file installed, why don't you simply remove it?
Or have you tried setting a rule like "true matches false"? This should guarantee that the respective file is never installed!
0 Kudos
webwater
Level 3

Thanks, this is a special upgrade and the requirement is to update the database with content only and not re-install files because some of the files could be a war or jar file that might have a newer patch release version, in this case we dont want to write over some of these files because we could write over newer with older files.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

For the future you can do something like adding an installation rule

$IS_UPDATE$ matches true

and you can launch your installer like this

setup.exe -DIS_UPDATE=true

in case you want to do an update.

But I guess now you're in position of modifying your existing installer in order to make an updater out of it, right? In this case what I suggest is to modify in Project/File Settings from the default Always Overwrite to Never Overwrite, I guess this should do the trick.
0 Kudos
webwater
Level 3

Thanks.

In regards to "make an updater out of it, right?" yes, however this installer currently does a New Install, Upgrade Install(both content and all files), and we are now adding the third option to install only content, without files. The user can select which of the 3 install types. All 3 installer types share the product features.

The Never Overwite would work if this was only an updater(content only) installer.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Then I guess the previous suggestion should work if you set the the variable based on the user choice (i.e. by default the variable, let's name it $DO_INSTALL$ is set to true, and in case the user selects Upgrade only you would set it to false, so the rule $DO_INSTALL$ matches true will fail and the files won't be installed.
0 Kudos
webwater
Level 3

I resolved this problem.
I will create a new Feature and map the files required appropriately.
0 Kudos