cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
trf999
Level 3

IA5.5.1 properties not detected in silent/console modes

Hi

I use a product which has an IA5.5.1 Enterprise installer. Default mode is UI but I need to get this product installed on a whole bunch of machines quickly so I'm trying to automate by using silent mode. I am creating a properties file which I then pass to the installer with -f option (works fine) but I find a couple of crucial fields does not get picked up, in fact even when I run in UI mode their text box is set to '/' (this is on solaris) not the property value
I turned up LAX debug and the properties are read in fine.

I tried recording the UI installation with a -r option but installer failed saying not a recognised option 😞
To figure out the property names I took a peek into the InstallScript.iap.xml file ( I guess that is a bit cheeky but it seemed to work )

So can somebody clarify -is it possible that the installer only allows some changes to be possible when running in a GUI mode, not silent? (That would be tremendously annoying!)
If so is there any way to get around it ?

thanks

Tim
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

Your IA version has been obsoleted for years (thus the -r option not being present in that version). I guess that your issue is that some defaults are not defined for the respective platform (i.e. Solaris).
0 Kudos
trf999
Level 3

I think my main query is why can I enter a value using GUI mode on solaris which takes effect fine, but not when setting it as a property for silent mode?
Just like to understand if that is common behaviour - seems a bit weird to me.
I successfully set other properties such as installation directory using a property in silent mode

Fully appreciate this is old technology!

thanks

Tim
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Do you have access to the project that has been used for generating the installer?
0 Kudos
trf999
Level 3

No, its a 3rd party product.
But like I say I extracted the config from the installer which is how I figured out the proprties to set, the salient portion I believe is this -

[FONT="Courier New"]

$JDKHOME$

JDK version 1.4.2 Installation Directory

[/FONT]

Tim
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Well, I'm afraid your hands are tied if it's a third party product: if the correct condition is not set on those properties, or they're not correctly handed, they will never be populated in silent mode. The only option would be to report the problem to the creator, and have the silent mode properly supported.
0 Kudos