cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FredLangemark
Level 2

How to change stock message box caption

Using the InstallAnywhere 2009 Enterprise Advanced Designer I went to the "Project" task, "Rules" tab and entered a platform rule such that the installation would fail on Windows (any version). When I run the installation on Windows and the rule fails, IA puts up a message box containing the text I entered into the "Message to Display if Installer Rules Fail:" text box, as one might expect.

But the caption (i.e., title bar) of this message box says "The Installer Cannot Be Run On This System." ... I would like to change this message box caption to something else, however I cannot find a way to do it locally within my project message files.

I found the caption for this message box in "C:\Program Files\InstallAnywhere 2009 Enterprise\resource\i18nresources\custom_en"; the line in question reads "Installer.rulesFailedLabel=The Installer Cannot Be Run On this System."

Is there any way to "override" (for lack of a better term) this message with one of my own, without changing this string in IA's internal message files?

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
ivenkata
Level 6

FredLangemark wrote:
Using the InstallAnywhere 2009 Enterprise Advanced Designer I went to the "Project" task, "Rules" tab and entered a platform rule such that the installation would fail on Windows (any version). When I run the installation on Windows and the rule fails, IA puts up a message box containing the text I entered into the "Message to Display if Installer Rules Fail:" text box, as one might expect.

But the caption (i.e., title bar) of this message box says "The Installer Cannot Be Run On This System." ... I would like to change this message box caption to something else, however I cannot find a way to do it locally within my project message files.

I found the caption for this message box in "C:\Program Files\InstallAnywhere 2009 Enterprise\resource\i18nresources\custom_en"; the line in question reads "Installer.rulesFailedLabel=The Installer Cannot Be Run On this System."

Is there any way to "override" (for lack of a better term) this message with one of my own, without changing this string in IA's internal message files?

Thanks!

Hi Fred,

There are two ways of approach for changing the Title bar.

1. You can modify the Custom_en file from the resource folder.
2. We provide the "Evaluate Custom Rule" action in the same "Project-->Rules" location. You can create a Custom Code which gets executed and prompt you the message which you want it to be displayed as. So that you dont have to override the IA's internal message files.

Thanks,
Indraneel
0 Kudos
FredLangemark
Level 2

Hello Indraneel, and many thanks for the reply! I have one more question related to your second solution however:

It sounds like you're saying I should create some custom code to check the platform, and then if the platform is not valid I should present the user with my own message box. That sounds fine, but ...

Once I display the message box from within my custom code and the user presses "OK", I still need to return an indication of failure (i.e., "evaluateRule()" must return false) so that the installer engine knows the rule has failed and will abort the install. But when my code returns false, the installer shows its own message box too, so I end up with 2 message boxes; my own displayed with the custom code, and IA's when the rule returns false.

How can I return "false" from the custom code, but prevent IA from displaying its own message box?

Thanks again,
- Fred
0 Kudos