cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amusku
Level 5

Getting No JVM error while running IA Installer

Hi,

I created IA (2008) Installer for Linux (RedHAT Enterprise) and I am trying to run the install.bin file on Linux machine. But I am getting following error

"No java Virtual Machine could be found from your PATH environment variable. you must Install a VM prior to running this program

Note: My Linux machine is already Installed with JRE 1.4.2

Please let me know the answer if any one have the idea on this.

Regards,
Ajaykumar
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

Most likely one of the followings has happened:

1) Either your installed JVM is not in the system's PATH

or

2) The installed JVM is in the system's PATH, but you have defined a minimum Java version needed by your installer to run and this version is higher than 1.4.2

Before launching the installer issue this command

export LAX_DEBUG=true

then launch your installer like this:

sh -x install.bin

and you should get a maximum of output that'll show you better what exactly is the system's PATH, what the installer has found etc.
0 Kudos
nosrednayduj
Level 7

I don't want to require my users to have java in their path. We require root access to install, and often the root user has a limited path which may not include optional stuff like java. So I said to bundle the VM, but even though it prints info about extracting the VM, it still can't find the thing it just unpacked! I set LAX_DEBUG to get it to print lots of info, including where it's looking, and indeed it's not looking anywhere except $PATH. Now, there's a sad looking message, "checking: "" against "1.4+": failed (wrong version)", which is strange, because the packed VM is 1.5.0_11, which I downloaded from the site.

Any ideas? For now we're in development, and I can require the user to have java in their path, but I must solve this in a couple months when our final ship is.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

What is your IA version?
0 Kudos
nosrednayduj
Level 7

I am using IA 2008 VP1 freshly downloaded like a week ago when the purchase order was completed.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

And you were installing on Linux right? What distribution, what version?
0 Kudos
nosrednayduj
Level 7

We are using some fairly elderly form of redhat. I am so confused by linux versioning and how to tell what I have installed! uname -a produces

Linux pluto 2.4.19-4GB #1 Mon Oct 21 18:45:41 UTC 2002 i686 unknown
0 Kudos
nosrednayduj
Level 7

It turned out the VM I had downloaded and selected for my linux installation was for AMD-64, not for Intel 32. All is improved now.
0 Kudos