cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Troy_Doty
Level 2

Files missing from installer after upgrade from 7.1.3

I am trying to upgrade an IA installer from version 7.1.3 to 2010. The conversion seems to go alright, and everything looks to be correct (files/actions all seem to be there). However, when I go to build the project, it finishes with a "Success" status, even though some of the files in the installer are 0 bytes. I opened up the version 7 and the version 2010 installers to compare the contents. It appears that several of the files in the 2010 installer contain 0 bytes. When the installer runs, these files are not deployed.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a common link between which files are zero bytes, and which files are put in the installer correctly. JARs, config files, etc. are all on the list of files that have been "left out". I tried deleting/re-adding the action to add these files again, but got the same results. The build log that shows in the IA UI doesn't provide much info, and appears to display "Success" several times.

I looked at the console.txt in the IA installation directory, and nothing stood out to be an obvious error.

I can provide logs as needed, just let me know which ones are relevant/helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

Wow. IA 7.1.3 is a rather old version (it has been released more than 4 years ago). The official recommendation was to always migrate from one version to another by passing through intermediate versions, in order to integrate changes between those versions. From my experience, sometimes even migrating from IA 7.1.3 to IA 8 caused could cause problems... So most likely this is what happened to your project, a direct migration was what caused the 0 byte files problem.
0 Kudos
Troy_Doty
Level 2

Well, my company just upgraded from 7.1.3 to 2010, so I don't think I have the ability to upgrade one version at a time (at least, not a way I am aware of). If this is a known issue, does Flexera have a workaround, or perhaps a patch to apply?

I'd rather not have to rewrite the entire installer, especially since 2010 is supposed to be able to upgrade from previous versions.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

If you've got a maintenance contract, you could ask the support for the intermediate versions and you could work with the trial versions... or directly analyze this issue for you.

And for the upgrade issue, what I wanted to say is that, as far as I know, this is not an issue per se, i.e. it was supposed to work this way (sometimes the changes between versions are so radical, that depending on what your installer contains, it might be very difficult to migrate directly from an older version to a newer one.
0 Kudos
jijujacob27
Level 6

just try downloading eval versions of IA 2008 vp1 or IA 2009 sp2 and try migrating to IA 2010 through these versions and i guess you should not face any problems.
0 Kudos