cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
3X-Man
Level 6

Display message in install part in console mode

Hi,

When working on the install part (not pre-install, not post-install), there is an action Display Message but this is only for GUI mode.

There is also the possibility to use Output Text to Console but ...
there is no possibility to interact with the user.
In particular there no possibility to stop temporarily the install. It makes this not very convenient especially because the console window is automatically destroyed.

Did I miss something?

Thanks,

X.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
pv7721
Level 20

What exactly do you mean by temporarily stop the install in console mode? How exactly do you do that in the GUI mode?
0 Kudos
3X-Man
Level 6

By temporarily, I mean till the user has reacted on the message.

In GUI, there is a Display Message Dialog (see picture)
It means the install stop working to display the dialog till the user has hopefully read the message and press one (of the) button(s).

For instance you have an action that should stop a service but there is an issue. You want to let the user know about this and decide what can be done: continue, try again, perform some manual task before going on, ...

If the dialog would be smart enough, it would display both in GUI and console mode without making any distinction.
At least a console dialog should be available also during install phase and not only during pre-install or post-install.

Is there a workaround for this?

Thanks,

X.
0 Kudos
jerome_IA
Level 9

I experienced similar issues with this action because I always forget to set it for console mode.

I thinks this is an issue in installanywhere because this "Show message console Dialog" action should be part of "General" tab instead of "Console".

At least, both diaglog (GUI & Console) should be in the same action tab.

I do not know any workaround for this ...

Jerome
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

Doesn't Console: Display Message do what you would like it to do? Otherwise, I guess the only workaround would be to use the Console: Get User Input in order to ask the user if (s)he understood what you've just displayed and have them type 'ok' for instance, in order to proceed.
0 Kudos