cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
khansen
Level 5

Debug log location

Is there a way to have the debug log generated in some location other than in the temp\Ixxxxxxxx folder? I tried changing the Installer Debug Output fields (stderr and stdout) under Project > Config to a directory like /tmp/debug.txt like it suggests in the help docs, but it isn't creating the debug.txt file.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
james_decosta
Level 9

hi khansen,
you can specify whereever you want to print the stderr.logs and stdout.logs
Like you go the project----config(task)
and in stderr.log give a place like C:\stderr.log
or you can use $PROGRAMS FOLDER$\stderr.log and so on so forth.
And when it comes to installer debug.txt,you can specify as $USER_INSTALL_DIR$$/$myCustomisedDebug.txt.
Try it once pal and if you find anything misleading just revert back i will answer you if i know the solution at the earliest.
Regards,
james.
0 Kudos
james_decosta
Level 9

hi,
i forgot one more thing if you want to install your debug logs in temp directory use some install anywhere variables like $TEMP_DIR$ or $TEMP$ which evaluates to Windows\Temp directory.
Just check once pal for the standard install anywhere variables.
james.
0 Kudos
khansen
Level 5

I tried using IA variables, but they don't seem to work. Specifically, I tried using $SYSTEM_DRIVE_ROOT$ and $USER_INSTALL_DIR$. When I tried setting stderr and stdout to /tmp/debug.txt, it wouldn't create the debug.txt file unless C:\tmp existed.

I did find that if I set stderr and stdout to /debug.txt it will put the file in C:\. I think I will just stick with that for now.
0 Kudos
janosh
Level 3

Hi,

I think there is a bug in the path resolution. It seems like variables are not substituted.
A full qualified path seems to be ok (for debugging if you know your target machine).

If you want to put the output to your %TEMP% directory, try a relative path.

../../installer_debug_stdout.txt
does this for me.
0 Kudos
bjfrary
Level 4

Variables are not substituted for this option because it is used before the jvm is called and the jvm does the resolution of IA Strings... AT least that is what support told me. This feature is almost useless because of this.
0 Kudos
nosrednayduj
Level 7

I tried the ../../filename trick, and it worked on Windows, put it in c:\Documents and Settings\me\Local Settings\Temp\my_prod_install.err. But on unix the file went in the root directory (/), which I don't really want to litter. There must be a different hierarchy on unix vs. windows. What a pain! Too bad the feature, as the previous commenter noted, is nearly useless as a result of not honoring IA variables.
0 Kudos