cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
packagerich
Level 3

Copying the install.log file???

Hey everyone, I am installing some software (OPNET) with InstallAnywhere and can't seem to copy the log file to a new location.

Currently it goes to "c:\program files\opnet\14.0.A" but I want to copy it to C:Logs. I can't find a list of switches for InstallAnywhere. I tried -f2 and /f2 but no luck.

Any ideas? If not, I'll have to just do a copy.

Thanks!
Rich
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
Yves_Kreis
Level 7

Are you using that installer or creating it?

Best Regards,
Yves
0 Kudos
packagerich
Level 3

Do you mean, creating my own log?

I am using the InstallAnywhere .exe that came with the application. When you run this installation, it drops a log file on the hard drive. That is the file I want to direct to a new location. However, I want to do this in the initial script.

This is what I have and it works other than placing the log file in c:\logs.

start /w itguru_140A_PL3_6313_win.exe -i SILENT -f ITGuru.iss -f2"c:\logs\IT_Guru_14.0_application.log"
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

If you're an end-user having trouble with your installed application, I'm afraid you're in the wrong forum here: this forum is dedicated to people developping installers using InstallAnywhere 2008. So you may want to look for support with your software supplier.
0 Kudos
packagerich
Level 3

Thanks, I actually package software for our company but InstallAnywhere doesn't provide a list of switches used for scripting packages.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

So just to get things clear here: you can, if you want, to generate an installation log (which is a file where InstallAnywhere record all information about operations it is supposed to perform with their success status (SUCCESS/WARNING/ERROR). You can control where this log file is created by setting the following variable $INSTALL_LOG_DESTINATION$ (the best would be to set to $USER_INSTALL_DIR$) (otherwise you get some bizarre behaviour, i.e. when cancelling an installation you get the log created on the Desktop). On the other hand, if once installed, your application is supposed to create a log file and you want to configure where this log file should be created (you want it in C:\Logs), then I guess this issue is no longer in the IA scope, it has to do with the configuration of your application).
0 Kudos
Nio_the_Champ_2
Level 6

How about on Unix in case user cancel the installer. What's corresponding to the Desktop folder on unix.
0 Kudos
pv7721
Level 20

It's the user's home folder...
0 Kudos