cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to deallocate a device vs exempting a device from license consumption

When would you deallocate a device from consuming from a license versus exempting a device from consuming from a license?  They both seem to accomplish the same result, so not sure what the pros and cons of each are.

(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Deallocating (i.e. not having an allocation for) a device from a license is quite different from exempting a device from consuming a license:

• Not having an allocation generally means that a license is required, and it is up to FlexNet Manager Suite to choose which license should be applied
  • Having an exemption configured generally means a license is not required.

To elaborate a little more:

An device allocation to a license is commonly used to explicitly identify which license a particular device should consume against (if it needs to consume a license). If you are happy to allow FlexNet Manager Suite to automatically choose a license to be consumed (where there are multiple choices of license available, and or sufficient data available for FlexNet Manager Suite to make that choice), then you can remove the allocation.

An exemption is effectively a statement that a particular application on a particular device does not require a license.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(1) Reply
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Deallocating (i.e. not having an allocation for) a device from a license is quite different from exempting a device from consuming a license:

• Not having an allocation generally means that a license is required, and it is up to FlexNet Manager Suite to choose which license should be applied
  • Having an exemption configured generally means a license is not required.

To elaborate a little more:

An device allocation to a license is commonly used to explicitly identify which license a particular device should consume against (if it needs to consume a license). If you are happy to allow FlexNet Manager Suite to automatically choose a license to be consumed (where there are multiple choices of license available, and or sufficient data available for FlexNet Manager Suite to make that choice), then you can remove the allocation.

An exemption is effectively a statement that a particular application on a particular device does not require a license.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)