cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RHEL for Virtual Datacenters: calculated consumption not matching installations

Hello, I'm baffled.

I have multiple systems using a RED HAT Enterprise License set up using Processor Points/RHEL for Virtual Datacenters. Many, from random review, appear to be just fine. But I have a system, that we were just reviewing randomly, and notice that the we cannot figure out the consumed consumption for this Host.

The system has a CPU of 4, has a consumed consumption for this Red Hat Enterprise License of 32, however the looking at the inventory for this HOST and the licenses, it only shows 13 VMs associated to the License.

My math makes me think the consumption should be 26, is there something that would increase that consumption number for this one HOST?

Any information is appreciated!

(1) Solution

@ttaccini 

Do you have both Server and Virtual Datacenter licenses that could potentially be used to license this system, and if yes, did you try to execute the Red Hat Enterprise Linux License Optimization report and check what its recommendation (Comment on optimization column) is for this system?

Thanks,

View solution in original post

(2) Replies

@ttaccini 

Do you have both Server and Virtual Datacenter licenses that could potentially be used to license this system, and if yes, did you try to execute the Red Hat Enterprise Linux License Optimization report and check what its recommendation (Comment on optimization column) is for this system?

Thanks,

nrousseau1
By Level 10 Champion
Level 10 Champion

Hello @ttaccini ,

I am confused if the host is consuming from RHEL DataCenter node or Server Node.

If this is server node, indeed, the number of VMs only will impact the consumption, and the consumption should be 7.5 (while licenses will always round up).

As @JohnSorensenDK mentioned, the Red Hat Optimization report (introduced in 2021R1) will compute the optimal licenses and consumption and the related consumption.

What is your license type and the processor point rule (if any?).

Thanks,

Nicolas

Nicolas Rousseau
NR SAM Consulting
https://nrsamconsulting.com/