cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flexera Kubernetes Agent - Docker File (Creation)

We are in the onboarding stages for deploying the Flexera Kubernetes Agent in our AKS environment. 

Before we can publish the docker image (flexera-krm-x.y.z.tar) into our internal registry (ACR), our Platform DevOps Team has insisted that we create a Docker File that contains a list of instructions to be executed in sequence to build an image:

# Define base image
FROM ubuntu:16.04

ENV LANG='en_US.UTF-8' LANGUAGE='en_US:en' LC_ALL='en_US.UTF-8'

# Adding Group and User
RUN groupadd --gid 1000 platform \
  && useradd --uid 1000 --gid platform --shell /bin/bash --create-home platform

# Download and install dependency
----

# Tell image what to do when it starts as a container
----

Is this request even possible? Please forgive me if the context does not make sense, as I am still trying to wrap my head around this necessary process from the team.
(1) Solution
Colvin
By
Flexera Alumni

Hi @davidle

It shouldn't be necessary to create a Dockerfile to build a container image. The image is provided to you already completely built, as a tar archive that was exported using the "docker save" command. It can then be imported back into Docker using the "docker load" command, and then pushed to the registry as-is.

Perhaps the DevOps team is under the misapprehension that the tar archive is not itself a complete image and therefore has to be populated into container image prior to being pushed to the registry?

View solution in original post

(4) Replies
Colvin
By
Flexera Alumni

Hi @davidle

It shouldn't be necessary to create a Dockerfile to build a container image. The image is provided to you already completely built, as a tar archive that was exported using the "docker save" command. It can then be imported back into Docker using the "docker load" command, and then pushed to the registry as-is.

Perhaps the DevOps team is under the misapprehension that the tar archive is not itself a complete image and therefore has to be populated into container image prior to being pushed to the registry?

@Colvin - Thanks for your reply. 

DevOps team was under the misapprehension that the tar archive is not a complete image.

I provided your reply and they allowed us to move forward with publishing the krm agent into our internal ACR.

Is there a documented process to run a kubernetes agent in AKS, GKS, etc?  We are looking for something to get this done.  Any help is appreciated.  Thank you

@jpmackl 

Did you check the instructions outlined in Two FlexNet Kubernetes Agents already?

Thanks,