cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Use for Normalization in CMDB

We have implemented Flexera IT Visibility to push normalized data to our ServiceNow CMDB out of the box tables. However, we are finding that though it creates new normalized records with Lifecycle data, it is not linking the CI assets to their respective software and hardware models. 

So, looking to understand what the best practice is to update the CI assets to link to the normalized data. Our CIs generally get created/updated by ServiceNow Discovery or Build Processes.

(5) Replies

@Christopher212 

In your implementation would it be possible to also include ServiceNow Discovery as a data source for IT Visibility? (I would recommend to include all CMDB data sources into IT Visibility's normalization process to ensure proper reconciliation in the CMDB...)

Thanks,

My understanding is that ServiceNow discovery data comes into Flexera via the scoped app integration. My issue is when Flexera normalizes that data and feeds it back into the native ServiceNow tables it creates new hardware and software models. The CIs and the asset records are not getting updated to point to the normalized model record so it's not tagged to the model with lifecycle data. So hoping to understand the recommendation on how this should be managed so CIs are mapped to the Flexera normalized models in the CMDB.

@Christopher212 

It's difficult to assist you without knowing the configuration that you have in place, but there are many options and depending on how you (or the team) want to consume the data in the ServiceNow UI, dashboards and reports, etc. you will need to decide on the appropriate configuration.

Thanks,

Ideally, we would like to see Flexera populate the native CMDB Computer CIs with the normalized software and hardware data so that it can be leveraged to review lifecycle data

@Christopher212 

There's a couple of other configuration settings there that will influence the experience, but again it depends on which other data sources ServicesNow IRE consolidates with what's doable and what works best for you. You may want to test the various options out in a ServiceNow dev/test environment to find the proper configuration.

Capture.PNG

Thanks,