cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does google cloud Instance support Public IP as a valid HostID

Does google cloud Instance support Public IP as a valid HostID

Question: 

Does google cloud Instance support Public IP as a valid HostID in the server line of a license file?. 

Answer: 

Google cloud instance does not support public IP as a hostid, it is only the VMUUID/VM_UUID. 

Note: Always refer to the latest FNP Release notes under Tested Cloud Environments.

Labels (3)
Was this article helpful? Yes No
100% helpful (1/1)
Comments

Hi @mrathinam ,

I don't understand the answer regarding the IP. Referring to fnp_LicAdmin.pdf, the "Internet IP address, or group of IP addresses" is listed as a "special hostid type", e.g. "HOSTID=INTERNET=10.10.10.*". As far as I understand, this IP hostid type is always available, for all systems.

So, when I use the public IP of a google cloud instance, do I understand correctly that this won't work? Why?

Best regards, Frank

Hi @frankson Please check my Question: Does the google cloud Instance support Public IP as a valid HostID in the server line of a license file?. 

Hope this answers your query, the point you are highlighting for the Feature line is correct?

FEATURE f1 demo 1.0 31-dec-2020 uncounted \
HOSTID=INTERNET=10.10.10.* SIGN=”<...>”

Best Regards,

I indeed thought of using the IP in the server line. Ok, you wrote that google cloud instance doesn't support this - a pity.

So my assumption that HOSTID=INTERNET=... is always available is obviously wrong.

Thanks for clarification.

Where is the best starting point to learn how to retrieve a (good) hostid on a google cloud instance, what are the prerequisites?

Regards, Frank

Hi @frankson Basically VM_UUID value is generated by FNP which is not the same as Google instance ID, FNP side, VM instance ID is unique and based on that from could metadata we will generate the Unique ID and that we call it as VM_UUID. 

lmhostid -ptype VM -uuid

Best Regards,

Thank you @mrathinam for your help and providing these details.

Frank

You are welcome  @frankson 

Version history
Last update:
‎Aug 31, 2021 12:12 AM
Updated by:
Contributors