cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ashish01
Level 5

What documents to read to install License server over client side

Hi @mrathinam ,

I want to install Flexnet Floating License Server over client location(client has two separate server for application and license). What documents i need to refer? As far as i can understand we only need lmadmin installable at client location for floating license... not sure though. Need confirmation.

Also if i want to get hostid of all out customer, do i need to share lmhostid.exe with them all? Should i share this exe from FlexLM Tool Kit which i built or do i have to download it from somewhere else? If yes, pls share link...

Thanks

0 Kudos
(11) Replies
jyadav
Flexera Alumni

Hi @ashish01  ,

Yes that's correct lmadmin can be installed at client location, You can refer to section "FlexNet Publisher Components Your End User Requires" from the development environment guide which will give you an idea of the executables which needs to be distributed. lmhostid can be shared which is present inside the FlexLM Tool Kit . Refer the development environment guide for getting the steps on installation of the license server  

0 Kudos

Hi @jyadav ,

Thanks for quick reply. I downloaded lmadmin executable and extracted on client machine. I started the license server using 'lmadmin -import gssl.lic -force' and 'lmadmin -adminOnly no -allowRemoteStopServer yes'.

But there is no way of shutting down the server 'lmdown -c .\gssl.lic' because there is no lmdown.exe in those extracted files(lmadmin.zip). So do i need to copy lmdown.exe from FlexLM tool kit as well to the client machine?

0 Kudos

Hi   ,In the lmadmin console , you can go inside Server Configuration and stop the server. See attached image or you can ship lmdown.exe as well .

@ashish01

0 Kudos

Hi @jyadav ,

Is it mandatory to give all the clients lmhostid.exe to get hostid of their machines? Do we have any alternative to get some other info from their machine (like MACID) to create node locked license for them?

Also, what is the purpose of Activatable on lmadmin console?

0 Kudos

Hi @ashish01  ,

If you do not want to give it to the customer then ask for their i/p address (which is nothing but lmhostid.exe -internet)  and nodelock the license file to that server .

To activate licenses to FlexEnabled clients using activation transactions across the enterprise network. The FlexEnabled client requests a license using an activation transaction. These licenses are referred to as
activatable licenses and are part of Trusted storage and not certificate based licensing. 

0 Kudos

Hi @jyadav ,

Thanks for the reply. 

How our client is supposed to download lmadmin installables to create a floating license server? As it requires login credentials to download.

Or do we(vendor) is suppose to download those installables and share with the client?

Can you share a link to download lmadmin installables(for client) which does not require login credentials...

0 Kudos

Hi @ashish01  ,

It is always recommended that the vendors download the installable and then provide your end users with the required executables .

0 Kudos

Hi @jyadav ,

How to check if floating license is already checked out by a user in Java? For ex. I have created a floating license which can be checked out by 10 users. I want to check if one user has already checked out one license or not. My requirement is each user should checkout only one license...

Thanks

0 Kudos

Hi @ashish01  ,

lmstat utility will give you details on how many licenses are available and how many are in use . In the lmgrd logs you will be able to see the details on which user has checked out which license at what particular time.

To fulfill your requirements of restricting license to a particular user you can go ahead and use the options file with keyword RESERVE 

0 Kudos

I was talking programmatically 🙂

if(user already got 1 license){

dont give another license

}

is there any method in java to check if user already got license...

0 Kudos

Hi @ashish01 ,

Please Raise a support case so that we can assist you further on this.

0 Kudos