cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
romain_castell
Level 3

Splitting a PACKAGE line in two (or more)

Hi there,

I have a very long PACKAGE line which is in danger of exceeding the 4096 bytes limit. I cannot discard any feature for backwards compatibility reasons. The clients cannot change either.

What strategy can I use to split the PACKAGE line into multiple ones AND keep the same DUP_GROUP/SUITE_DUP_GROUP behaviour (currently set to DUP_GROUP=U SUITE_DUP_GROUP=U)

Many thanks,

Romain

0 Kudos
(4) Replies
aparashar1
Flexera Alumni

@romain_castell , one of the safest way to achieve this could be to create a new package line , with different version (for say 2.0) and duplicate all the other details of the previous one and add the further component list to it.

For ex:

PACKAGE office demo 1.0 COMPONENTS="write paint draw" OPTIONS=SUITE_RESERVED SIGN=XXX
FEATURE office demo 1.0 permanent 2 DUP_GROUP=U SUITE_DUP_GROUP=U SIGN=XYXY

PACKAGE office demo 2.0 COMPONENT="walk run jump" OPTIONS=SUITE_RESERVED SIGN=YYY
FEATURE office demo 2.0 permanent 2 DUP_GROUP=U SUITE_DUP_GROUP=U SIGN=YZYZ

Is this acceptable for your implementation?

(If my response assists with your questions , then please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" or 'Kudos' so that it help others.)
0 Kudos

Hi @aparashar1 ,

I couldn't quite make this work. I've fixed the small typo on the second package (missing S for COMPONENTS) and changed FEATURE for INCREMENT so that all features are available, but the DUP_GROUP-ing doesn't behave the same, compared to when all features are in the same package.

So, I've got:

PACKAGE office demo 1.0 COMPONENTS="write paint draw" OPTIONS=SUITE_RESERVED SIGN=0 SIGN2=0
INCREMENT office demo 1.0 permanent 1 DUP_GROUP=U SUITE_DUP_GROUP=U SIGN=0 SIGN2=0
PACKAGE office demo 2.0 COMPONENTS="walk run jump" OPTIONS=SUITE_RESERVED SIGN=0 SIGN2=0
INCREMENT office demo 2.0 permanent 1 DUP_GROUP=U SUITE_DUP_GROUP=U SIGN=0 SIGN2=0

What doesn't work: I get double the seat count if I check out from different packages. In the above example with a single seat, I can get two different users to concurrently check out "write" and "walk" whereas the same users cannot concurrently check out "walk" and "jump" (the latter is the expected behaviour)

I've also tried with OPTIONS=SUITE, to no avail. It's a good try though, thanks. I'll keep playing with it and report if I have a breakthrough.

Romain

0 Kudos

Even adding UPGRADE lines to (in theory) merge all features into the same pool either didn't work, or simply added the seats up:

UPGRADE office demo 1.0 3.0 permanent 1 DUP_GROUP=U SUITE_DUP_GROUP=U SIGN=0 SIGN2=0
UPGRADE office demo 2.0 3.0 permanent 1 DUP_GROUP=U SUITE_DUP_GROUP=U SIGN=0 SIGN2=0

0 Kudos

Thank you for further test informations. I kind of see your concern here and i must say it's quite natural one (but first time that i am hearing of this) 🙂

In my earlier shared suggestion, it will create 2 different license pools for PACKAGE "office" where :

- Version 1.0 only contains of features write, paint & draw.

- Version 2.0 will contain features walk, run & jump

So, a checkout from particular license pool will only affect the features in particular pool and hence your observation of count 2 checkouts, when attempting to checkout 'write' and later 'walk'.

I am afraid that i really don't see any other way to achieve the required setup, except if we put them in the same PACKAGE component list. Kindly let me also know, if you find a way to get this done (definitely it would be an interesting learning for me).

(If my response assists with your questions , then please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" or 'Kudos' so that it help others.)
0 Kudos