cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ian_hubert
Level 2

Software versions you can run when borrowing licences

We have implemented borrowing using the BORROW keyword in our license keys. Our application calls lc_set_attr(...,LM_A_BORROW_EXPIRE,...) and then lc_checkout(...,feature,version,...). We find that the borrowed license only allows that specific version of the software to run. The server must also have the exact right version of keys for the borrow to work. Is this expected? Or is there some way to either borrow older versions off newer keys, or run older versions of the software off a newer version borrowed license?

I should mention we're using FLEXnet Publisher 11.6.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Manueler
Level 2

Having read this I believed it was rather informative. I appreciate you spending some time and energy to put this content together. I once again find myself personally spending a lot of time both reading and posting comments. But so what, it was still worth it!
0 Kudos
raffie
Level 6

This is expected behavior if the two versions of your software use different versions of FNP (or maybe even just different builds of lm_new.obj).
The "Mobile Licensing " chapter of the Programming Reference (v11.11.1) includes this quote:
"This borrow information is encrypted using keys which are automatically generated each time lmnewgen is run when you build the FlexNet Publisher toolkit. Each run of lmnewgen generates keys that are different from the previous run for security purposes. However, this means that a borrow record created by one FlexNet Publisher version of the FlexEnabled client will not be readable by another FlexNet version of the same FlexEnabled client."

It also has info on how to change this unfortunate behavior.

Eric
0 Kudos