cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ramon_Kroese
Level 2

Service created by LMTools v11.15 will not start

When I create a new license service with the 11.15 version of lmtools.exe the license service will not start and no lmgrd log file is created. After the creation of the service I got the error "Windows preferred paths
When I create the same service with lmtools v11.12 the service can be started.

Can anyone explain why the service will NOT start?

P.S. I tried to troubleshoot the issue myself but I could not find any events in the application and/or system event logs. I have exported the service registry keys and compared them (hexidecimals converted to strings):
[table="width: 50"]
LMTools v11.15 LMTools v11.12
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[tr] [td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Test] [/td][td] [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Test][/td][/tr]
"Type"=dword:00000010 "Type"=dword:00000010
"Start"=dword:00000002 "Start"=dword:00000002
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001 "ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"ImagePath"="C:\Program Files\FLEXlm\lmgrd.exe" "ImagePath"=C:\Program Files\FLEXlm\lmgrd.exe
"DisplayName"="Test" "DisplayName"="Test"
"DependOnGroup"=NetworkProvider "DependOnGroup"=NetworkProvider
"ObjectName"="NT AUTHORITY\\LocalService" "ObjectName"="LocalSystem"
"DependOnService"=WinMgmt "DependOnService"=WinMgmt,wmiApSrv
"DelayedAutostart"=dword:00000001 "DelayedAutostart"=dword:00000001
[tr]"ServiceSidType"=dword:00000001 [td][/td][/tr]
[/table]

Also there was a slight difference in the FLEXlm License Manager registry values:
[table="width: 50"]
LMTools v11.15 LMTools v11.12
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[tr] [td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\FLEXlm License Manager\Test][/td][td][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\FLEXlm License Manager\Test][/td][/tr]
"Lmgrd"="C:\\Program Files\\FLEXlm\\lmgrd.exe""Lmgrd"="C:\\Program Files\\FLEXlm\\lmgrd.exe"
"LMGRD_LOG_FILE"="C:\\Program Files\\FLEXlm\\Licenses\\Test.log""LMGRD_LOG_FILE"="C:\\Program Files\\FLEXlm\\Licenses\\Test.log"
"License"="C:\\Program Files\\FLEXlm\\Licenses\\Test.dat""License"="C:\\Program Files\\FLEXlm\\Licenses\\Test.dat"
"cmdlineparams"="""cmdlineparams"=""
[tr]"TSAccess"=dword:00000000[td][/td][/tr]
"Service"="Test""Service"="Test"
[/table]

Regards,
Ramon
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
raffie
Level 6

I've never seen that particular error before, but one of the more recent changes is that the service gets run as a more restricted user than before. So it is likely that the process doesn't have permissions to either read the directory where lmgrd.exe is, or write to the log file.
It's likely the log file. You generally shouldn't be writing into C:\Program Files\. Try changing that to a directory that is writable to everyone (or at least to the service that is running).
0 Kudos
Ramon_Kroese
Level 2

Thank you for your reply. I can confirm that the problem was caused by the debug log file. I configured a new license en set the debug log file to 'C:\ProgramData\FLEXlm\lmgrd\test.log'. The new license service could be started and the log file was created.
0 Kudos