cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmoleary
Level 6

"Returning a device is an irreversible action". What does that mean?

Jump to solution

The language about  Device "Return" in the documentation sounds forbidding:

Returning a device is an irreversible action

What does that mean exactly?  Does it mean I can never use that device to activate licenses again? 

My devices are all PCs.  The device I'm thinking about has uninstalled our software (which does the activation and deactivation) and deleted trusted storage without ever-deactivating an entitlement.  So the license is permanently allocated but will never be used again by that PC.  

Since this entitlement is actually internal, for employees in my own company (not a customer) I thought I might just manually "return" the device to make the license available in the pool again. 

But that language concerns me.   I want to understand the consequences of this being "irreveresible" before I do it.  For example, If someone were to try to re-install our software on this PC and then activate an entitlement -- any entitlement -- after I had manually returned the device, would it even work?    Or is the machine permanently disqualified from future activations?

0 Kudos
(1) Solution
jberthold
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @jmoleary 

Once a device is returned, the hostid associated with the returned device is flagged in FNO and cannot be used in the future to license any of your products.  

If you simply need to reclaim the license that was on the system, you can remove the license from the device in the Producer Portal.  This will free up the license for use on another system. 

Thanks,

Jim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(10) Replies
jberthold
Revenera Moderator

Hi @jmoleary 

Once a device is returned, the hostid associated with the returned device is flagged in FNO and cannot be used in the future to license any of your products.  

If you simply need to reclaim the license that was on the system, you can remove the license from the device in the Producer Portal.  This will free up the license for use on another system. 

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos

I know this sounds stupid ... but there is any way to restore a device returned?

I know "Returning a Device" is a "irreversive" action but I have one device has been returned by mistake.

Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
mrathinam
Revenera Moderator

Hi @SanBarTPA You can move to Obsolete status and create a new one with the same ID. 

Best Regards,

I moved the "returned" device to Obsolet successfully. but seems I can not create a new device with the same ID

0 Kudos
mrathinam
Revenera Moderator

Hi @SanBarTPA Can you Search D2D9-B803* with an enabled inactive filter on the device page? give me the screenshot. 

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
SanBarTPA
Level 3

0 Kudos
jberthold
Revenera Moderator

Hi @SanBarTPA ,

It looks like the Device ID you are trying to create has id type CONTAINER_ID yet the Device you had made Obsolete was of id type STRING.  Can you try to recreate the device with type STRING?

Thanks,

Jim

SanBarTPA
Level 3

CONTAINER_ID seems the only option I have in device creation

0 Kudos

I've asked to customer to try now the license activation process. Maybe in this situation (Device Obsolete) a new activation will success.

0 Kudos

Worked!

So the only thing necessary on FNO was to set the Device to Obsolete then retry the license activation on the device again.

Thanks guys for the help!!!