jmoleary
Active participant

"Returning a device is an irreversible action". What does that mean?

Jump to solution

The language about  Device "Return" in the documentation sounds forbidding:

Returning a device is an irreversible action

What does that mean exactly?  Does it mean I can never use that device to activate licenses again? 

My devices are all PCs.  The device I'm thinking about has uninstalled our software (which does the activation and deactivation) and deleted trusted storage without ever-deactivating an entitlement.  So the license is permanently allocated but will never be used again by that PC.  

Since this entitlement is actually internal, for employees in my own company (not a customer) I thought I might just manually "return" the device to make the license available in the pool again. 

But that language concerns me.   I want to understand the consequences of this being "irreveresible" before I do it.  For example, If someone were to try to re-install our software on this PC and then activate an entitlement -- any entitlement -- after I had manually returned the device, would it even work?    Or is the machine permanently disqualified from future activations?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jberthold
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Re: "Returning a device is an irreversible action". What does that mean?

Jump to solution

Hi @jmoleary 

Once a device is returned, the hostid associated with the returned device is flagged in FNO and cannot be used in the future to license any of your products.  

If you simply need to reclaim the license that was on the system, you can remove the license from the device in the Producer Portal.  This will free up the license for use on another system. 

Thanks,

Jim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jberthold
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Re: "Returning a device is an irreversible action". What does that mean?

Jump to solution

Hi @jmoleary 

Once a device is returned, the hostid associated with the returned device is flagged in FNO and cannot be used in the future to license any of your products.  

If you simply need to reclaim the license that was on the system, you can remove the license from the device in the Producer Portal.  This will free up the license for use on another system. 

Thanks,

Jim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos