cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmoleary
Level 6

Which License Model do I choose for this desired behavior?

Jump to solution

We've switched  from using manually generated nodelocked license files (FNE) to using FlexNet Operations and having client PC software manually connect to the FNO server to perform one-time activation of licenses instead.   Unfortunately there is a difference in behavior for the activated licenses from the old node-locked files that makes me think I've chosen the wrong FNO License Model.  I hope someone can tell me what license model I can choose to accomplish what I want

Suppose our client's PC has one license for feature A.

The old behavior (when that license was in a binary license file) was that the code could acquire that single license as (via FNE's FlcAcquireLicense function)many times as needed without returning it and it would all count as just one checkout.  Each call to FlcAquireLicense worked and it all counted as 1.

The new behavior (with activated licenses in trusted storage on the local PC) is that the first call to FlcAcquireLicense works but the next one fails with the error message "Insufficient count for the requested feature"  I must call FlcReturnLicense first.

I created a license model that was permanent and counted because we issue our software licenses for a given number of customer seats.  Is there some other model I should choose that would give the old behavior?  

Here is the FNO license model that I use

image.png

And aside from my license models, I see the following pre-populated ones available.  Will one of these give me what I want?

• Retail Activation
  • Named User Licensing
  • Concurrent User Licensing
  • Embedded Counted
  • Embedded Uncounted

0 Kudos
(1) Solution
jberthold
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @jmoleary 

You are correct, the counted attribute applies to the features in the Product.  An uncounted feature means that requests by your licensed application for any quantity of the that feature will be satisfied.  For standalone licensing the Quantity on the Entitlement line will determine how many devices can be activated.

Thanks,
Jim

View solution in original post

(2) Replies
jmoleary
Level 6

I am going to answer my own question because I think I completely misunderstood what "Counted" meant in licensing terms. 

I thought that "Counted" was the attribute of a license model that enabled you to specify a certain number of licenses for each entitlement -- and that without it -- with an "uncounted" license model -- a customer could just activate the entitlement as many times as they wanted. 

I think I now see that "uncounted" is exactly the behavior I was looking for and I can still specify a count to entitlements even with it.

0 Kudos
jberthold
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @jmoleary 

You are correct, the counted attribute applies to the features in the Product.  An uncounted feature means that requests by your licensed application for any quantity of the that feature will be satisfied.  For standalone licensing the Quantity on the Entitlement line will determine how many devices can be activated.

Thanks,
Jim