Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krubin
Level 7

Registration changing pcid and observation with maintenance line item

Jump to solution

Good Morning,

1. Using entitlements, I have registered an id based on an Activation Id for a user/account. This is is used subsequently after registration as part of the body to send a post for updates. Can an Activation Id be given a different related id somehow after the first id is assigned? This is like an unregister or reregister.

2.  I performed a test:where

Step 1 -The expiration date for a line item 11-23-2020 for Entitlement A999 was made earlier than the effective date of a download package 12-2-2020.  As expected the package was not available. PCid used - AE999

Step 2- A Maintenance Line Item was created with a start date of yesterday and an expiration date about a year out. I was able to see the package as expected.

Step 3- The Maintenance line item was put in two states inactive and obsolete. I did not expect to see the package, but I can.

Thank you,

Ken

0 Kudos
(1) Solution
jberthold
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi Ken,

I'm not really sure what you asking in #1.    It sounds like you want the activation ID of an entitlement line to change after a device registers?  More details will be needed to understand what you are trying to accomplish.

For #2 it looks like your goal is to test updates with and without Maintenance.  Once you add maintenance, setting the Maintenance Line Item to Inactive or Obsolete will actually not affect software availability.  To test the absence of maintenance either edit the start/end dates or simple click the red X next to the Maintenance to unlink it from the entitlement line item.  Once you unlink the line item the line item start/expiration will then control access to ESD/updates.

Thx,

Jim

View solution in original post

(8) Replies
jberthold
Revenera Moderator

Hi Ken,

I'm not really sure what you asking in #1.    It sounds like you want the activation ID of an entitlement line to change after a device registers?  More details will be needed to understand what you are trying to accomplish.

For #2 it looks like your goal is to test updates with and without Maintenance.  Once you add maintenance, setting the Maintenance Line Item to Inactive or Obsolete will actually not affect software availability.  To test the absence of maintenance either edit the start/end dates or simple click the red X next to the Maintenance to unlink it from the entitlement line item.  Once you unlink the line item the line item start/expiration will then control access to ESD/updates.

Thx,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Sorry for any confusion with the first question. To phrase it more precisely, I wanted to know if it was possible to modify the pcid for an activation id on a subsequent registration.

Thank you,

Ken

0 Kudos
jberthold
Revenera Moderator

Hi Ken,

I'm just not sure I follow the use case.  Registration is a one-time action to link a Device ID to an Account.   What do you mean by subsequent registration? 

Thx,

Jim

0 Kudos

Hi Jim,

I think that you are saying that an account can only be linked to one device (or pcid- we are using entitlements) and that cannot be changed. Do you concur?

Thank you,

Ken

0 Kudos
jberthold
Revenera Moderator

Hi Ken,

Any number of devices for a given customer can be registered to the Customer Account using the same Activation ID.  Nothing is consumed when you perform the Device Registration.   

Thx,
Jim

0 Kudos

Hi Jim,

I think you are saying that I cannot modify the device id for an account once it is set during registration. Is this true?

For example, if I start with

https://flexxxx-ns-uat.flexnetoperations.com/uai/2.0/devices/registrations

With Body contents:

{
  "activationId""AE999",
  "id""AE999",
  "idType""STRING",
  "identityName""UAIDeviceIdentity",
  "publisherName""bloom"
}

I can't later try to register again specifically:

https://flexxxx-ns-uat.flexnetoperations.com/uai/2.0/devices/registrations

With Body contents:

{
  "activationId""AE999",
  "id""AE999_shop", <-------modified
  "idType""STRING",
  "identityName""UAIDeviceIdentity",
  "publisherName""bloom"
}

0 Kudos
jberthold
Revenera Moderator

Hi Ken,

Yes, you can do that.  On the same system you can keep registering using the same Activation ID with different Device IDs.  The question is why would you want to do that?  Registration allows you to perform Account/device level entitlement checking for Updates and it also allows you to view the status of the updates for each device in FlexNet Operations.  It's not clear why you would want to have multiple Device IDs for the same device endpoint.  Typically each device for a given customer will register using it's unique Device ID so that it can be tracked in FlexNet Operations.

Thx,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Management discussed if there was a possibility of changing it in the future. Possibly to add to security.

Thank you,

Ken

0 Kudos