Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_ScaccoMatto
Level 3

Question about updates availability basing on Windows version - FNO

Jump to solution

Dear all,

I would like to understand if it is possible using FNO to release and install updates only to installations where the Windows version is higher than a specific one.

For example,  with the newest version of my sw that I'm going to release soon, my product is no more supported on old Windows versions like Win7 or WinServer 2008, how can I manage this condition?

How can I guarantee that for old Win versions the new update will not be installed?

Thank you.

@jberthold 

0 Kudos
(1) Solution

Hi @_ScaccoMatto ,

Additional platforms can be added via System/Configure/FlexNet Operations/Updates.  See attached image for an example.

Best regards,

View solution in original post

(4) Replies
jberthold
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @_ScaccoMatto ,

Yes this is certainly possible with the Updates & Insights (UAI) FNO Module.  With UAI you can configure software updates that will be delivered directly to the end client.  On the client side a set of REST APIs are provided that are used to periodically check for available software updates.   A client checks for updates with FNO by sending information such as the current software version installed as well as the platform in use.  Flexera provides a list of default platforms to which you can append.  So, with your use case let's say you have version V1 in the field and you are releasing V2 that you only want delivered to Windows 10 systems.  You define an update from V1 to V2 in FNO for the Windows 10 platform.  Any system requesting an update from V1 on a non-Windows 10 platform would not be provided with the V2 update since the platform does not match.  Note your code would be responsible for detecting the current platform.   You can use the UAI REST APIs in a standalone update application that you distribute to your customers or you can embed the functionality in your application itself.  For further details I'd recommend reaching out to your Account Manager.

Best regards,

Dear @jberthold,

we are currently using FNO for updates release.

As you can see in attached image, when creating the new update we are allowed to select the platform (for example Windows x86 or x64), but I cannot find the way to specify the Windows version.

Please could you show me where I can set that specification? 

Thanks you!

0 Kudos

Hi @_ScaccoMatto ,

Additional platforms can be added via System/Configure/FlexNet Operations/Updates.  See attached image for an example.

Best regards,

@jberthold  as always your support is perfect!

Thank you so much for your time.

Best regards,

Andrea Scacchi