cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
harry_1_campbe
Level 3

Linked maintenance line items

Jump to solution

What does it mean to have a maintenance line item linked to a product line item? How does this relationship effect behavior of FNO? I can see that in the email templates you can iterate over LinkedMaintenanceLineItems. Is that all it really gives you?

More specifically, what I want to do is give my customer a single activation ID and have it entitle the customer to use ProductA + Maintenance support for ProductA . I thought that a linked maintenance line item would give me this functionality but it doesn't appear to. Is there anyway to query for LinkedMaintenanceLineItems for a given activation ID via the web API?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
(1) Solution
jberthold
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @harry_1_campbe ,

There are a couple functions for linked Maintenance:

1) Maintenance based upgrades.  Let say you have Product 1 and you later come out with Product 2 that you define as an "upgrade" from Product 1.  Product 2 has some additional licensed features and will require a new entitlement line to be created.  FlexNet Operations can automatically generate the new Product 2 entitlement lines for all customers with active Maintenance agreements (linked Maintenance line item to Product 1 has not expired).   This is done via the Product Version Upgrade job.

2) Electronic Software Delivery access.  If a linked Maintenance line item exists, it's expiration date will control access to future software updates associated with the purchased product.  Customers will only see updates in the customer portal if the release dates for the updates are prior to the linked Maintenance expiration date.

When creating an entitlement with linked maintenance, there will be an Activation ID for the entitlement line and an Activation ID for the linked Maintenance however the customer does not need the Maintenance Activation ID for any entitlement related functions.

You can easily query the Maintenance Line Items with Web Services via a given Activation ID.  Use getEntitlementLineItemPropertiesQuery using the Entitlement Line Activation ID or getEntitlementMaintenanceLineItemPropertiesQuery via the linked Maintenance Activation ID.  Both can be found in the EntitlementOrderService wsdl.

Best regards,

View solution in original post

(3) Replies
jberthold
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @harry_1_campbe ,

There are a couple functions for linked Maintenance:

1) Maintenance based upgrades.  Let say you have Product 1 and you later come out with Product 2 that you define as an "upgrade" from Product 1.  Product 2 has some additional licensed features and will require a new entitlement line to be created.  FlexNet Operations can automatically generate the new Product 2 entitlement lines for all customers with active Maintenance agreements (linked Maintenance line item to Product 1 has not expired).   This is done via the Product Version Upgrade job.

2) Electronic Software Delivery access.  If a linked Maintenance line item exists, it's expiration date will control access to future software updates associated with the purchased product.  Customers will only see updates in the customer portal if the release dates for the updates are prior to the linked Maintenance expiration date.

When creating an entitlement with linked maintenance, there will be an Activation ID for the entitlement line and an Activation ID for the linked Maintenance however the customer does not need the Maintenance Activation ID for any entitlement related functions.

You can easily query the Maintenance Line Items with Web Services via a given Activation ID.  Use getEntitlementLineItemPropertiesQuery using the Entitlement Line Activation ID or getEntitlementMaintenanceLineItemPropertiesQuery via the linked Maintenance Activation ID.  Both can be found in the EntitlementOrderService wsdl.

Best regards,

Thank you very much jberthold, you answered all my questions. I appreciate it.

0 Kudos

What happens if there is no internet connection to the client machine is there a way the Maintenance Line Items can be queried like short code or offline activation methods

0 Kudos