cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ageorge
Level 6

License overview for a cloud license server

Hello,

When using a local license server (self-hosted license server), you have access to the Flexnet License Server manager application which gives you a useful view of license features on the server, usage, available, devices being served etc.

Is there an equivalent functionality for a cloud license server? I've logged into the customer portal in FNO and although I can see the cloud license server listed in the Devices section, clicking on it does not give any information about the licenses on the server.

I would have thought this is the sort of standard, useful information that should be available to an end user (through the portal).

Thanks.

(9) Replies
jberthold
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @ageorge ,

There is no equivalent management UI for a Cloud License Server.  You can drill into served devices to see the licenses in use however there is no higher level summary.   There are a full suite of REST APIs available to put this functionality within your licensed (or management) application.

Thanks,

0 Kudos

Hi @jberthold ,

Thanks for the confirmation.

Any reason why this functionality is not available out of the box for cloud license servers? This is very useful functionality as all license admins I know rely on this sort of view for an overview of what's happening with their licenses.

Can I make this an enhancement request please?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jberthold
Revenera Moderator

Hi @ageorge ,

I am not sure why, I think it would be highly valuable and will log an enhancement request.

Thanks,

0 Kudos

Thanks very much @jberthold . Much appreciated.

0 Kudos

Hi  @jberthold ,

I am new to flexera, and I'm looking for this fonctionnality too. If it can help speed up the enhancement request ðŸ˜‰ !

On the other hand, I would like to ban (make obsolete) a machine whish logged to a cloud license server (for example, following a machine theft, or something like that ...)
Do you have a solution for this?

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Hi @wlagriffoul ,

Yes, in either the Producer or Customer Portals a Device can be marked as "Returned".  A device ID that has been returned is effectively taken out of service and will no longer be able to obtain/refresh licenses from your FlexNet Operations instance or a Cloud License Server.

** Updated ** In order for the device to be returned, the Cloud License Server Registration capability would need to be enabled.  A video has recently been posted on this topic in the Learning Center.

Thanks,  

0 Kudos

Hi @jberthold  ,

Thanks for your response.

In FNO, for a Served Device, I have no option to marke as "Returned". I can only edit the name.

Do you know why ?

0 Kudos

Hi @wlagriffoul ,

That is correct.  Only "non-served" Devices or License Servers can be Returned.  I believe the only way to prevent a served device from obtaining a license would be to first enable the Cloud License Server device registration capability (video recently posted on this topic in the Learning Center) .  This forces devices to first register with a  Cloud License Server prior to requesting licenses.  The registration process makes the device a "standard" device as well as a "served device" and can then be returned.

Thanks,

jberthold
Revenera Moderator

As an update, you can use the new feature partitioning capability to deny specified devices access to served licenses.  Please refer to the "FlexNet Embedded 2020 R3 Release - Feature Partitioning" video in the "What's New In FlexNet Embedded Licensing" section of FlexNet Embedded in the Learning Center or refer to the documentation.

Second update: An example of a simple rule that can be set on a Server using the /rules REST Endpoint to deny license requests from a served device with Device ID "DEVICE1234" would look like the following:

model "deny" {
    on hostid("DEVICE1234") {
        deny
    }
    on any() {
        use "default"
        accept
}
}

Thanks,