cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lionel_jost2
Level 2

Custom Attributes vs. Custom License Attributes

Jump to solution

I am receiving more and more request to add custom attributes to entitlement line items. Up to now we have always used the custom license attributes but we also realized that those are very expensive (slow down FNO during entitlement creation, license activation, etc.). We then tested the custom attributes firstly noticed that these cannot be used in filters and also not included in fulfillment records and some APIs.

Is there a list of pros and cons when using custom attributes vs. custom license attributes?

Is there some reason to deviate from our current practice and no longer use custom license attribtues?

We are using file-based licensing and recently introduced FNE (CMAPI).

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution
ekose1
Revenera
Revenera

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to post your query on this topic.

Unfortunately, there isn't a definitive pros/cons list of whether the use of an entitlement line custom attribute is better/worse than a license custom attribute.

Many factors play a part in whether one approach is better/worse than the other, including use-case, license technology, the purpose of the attribute (what is it eventually going to be used for?  Reporting? License checkout/borrow filtering?), etc...

My best suggestion to you is to open a Support Ticket with details on how your implementation is today and what you do with your license custom attribution within your licensed application. I would also request that you provide as much detail on the challenges you face with your current approach and what you're hoping for in the future. 

If we're able to understand your exact use case, I'm confident we will be able to provide you with some much more tailored best-practice advice. 

Kind regards,
Erce ‘Urge’ Kose.
Solution Engineer

View solution in original post

(1) Reply
ekose1
Revenera
Revenera

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to post your query on this topic.

Unfortunately, there isn't a definitive pros/cons list of whether the use of an entitlement line custom attribute is better/worse than a license custom attribute.

Many factors play a part in whether one approach is better/worse than the other, including use-case, license technology, the purpose of the attribute (what is it eventually going to be used for?  Reporting? License checkout/borrow filtering?), etc...

My best suggestion to you is to open a Support Ticket with details on how your implementation is today and what you do with your license custom attribution within your licensed application. I would also request that you provide as much detail on the challenges you face with your current approach and what you're hoping for in the future. 

If we're able to understand your exact use case, I'm confident we will be able to provide you with some much more tailored best-practice advice. 

Kind regards,
Erce ‘Urge’ Kose.
Solution Engineer