cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software Usage Metering - How to monitor unknown product known?

Software Usage Metering - How to monitor unknown product known?

Summary

How to implement usage tracking on UNKNOWN PRODUCTS's

Synopsis

When the below can be seen in your tracker log, (once usage tracking has been setup) it means you will not be getting monitoring usage on the application.

"C:\Windows\Temp\Managesoft\usageagent.log" there are a lot of products marked as "UKNOWN PRODUCT": [2.12.2016 12:39:44 (G, 0)] {3328} Session logging: UNKNOWN PRODUCT Session end (Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe, product is unknown) Session will not be added to cache.

Whenever a product is unknown no usage information is collected.

Discussion

By default the usage agent only recognises MSI and ManageSoft packages, but application such as Firefox lack these so won't be tracked by default. However it is possible to track these applications, but it has to be configured manually, by using manual mappers.

The manual mapper relates to actual files to track e.g. .exe files so it's not the registry key names that matter - within the manual mapper registry structure you can name the key as desired as long as you follow the correct hierarchy as covered in documentation (which i have attached, please view page 425) e.g. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ManageSoft Corp\ManageSoft\Usage Agent\CurrentVersion\Manual Mapper\ApplicationName] then you create the strings mentioned i.e.

"Application"="WebSphere"
"ExecutablePath"= ".D:\\Websphere\\WebSphere.exe"
"Version"="*"
"Regex"="True"

This would monitor an executable called WebSphere.exe in the D:\WebSphere directory (please note the double \ in the path).

UseAddRemove option does mean that only the MSI database should be scanned but this is intentional. Experience shows that the UseAddRemove option can cause issues due to the quality of entries in the AddRemove database i.e. evidence being matched to multiple paths / versions / products etc so I'd recommend leaving that disabled.

You will then also have to set 'Manual Mapper ' to true (false by default), this should allow you to track the mappers. Finally the documentation i have attached is quite old, but the section on manual mappers mostly still applies.

Additional Information

Please note the file path for the application needs to be entered into the registry in lower case and does not require the speech marks around the path.
Was this article helpful? Yes No
100% helpful (1/1)
Comments

Hi @jkeighley,

thanks a lot for your information and the PDF. It was very helpful.

The only thing  what I have noticed during my tests was
my ExecutablePath is working without double \ in the path, e.g.
c:\program files\notepad++\notepad++.exe

I have tried this, because with double \ the logfile has shown:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adding product 'Notepad++' (priority 20) to product cache
Adding file '"c:\\program files\\notepad++\\notepad++.exe"' to product 'Notepad++'
UNKNOWN PRODUCT Session end (Path: C:\Program Files\Notepad++\notepad++.exe
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With a single \ I got:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adding product 'Notepad++' (priority 20) to product cache
Adding file 'c:\program files\notepad++\notepad++.exe' to product 'Notepad++'
KNOWN PRODUCT Session start (Path: C:\Program Files\Notepad++\notepad++.exe, Product: Notepad++, Product version: *)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best regards

Hi,
today I have made an export of the the regkey to a *.reg. Here I can see the double \

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ManageSoft Corp\ManageSoft\Usage Agent\CurrentVersion\Manual Mapper\Notepad++]
"Application"="Notepad++"
"ExecutablePath"="c:\\program files\\notepad++\\notepad++.exe"
"Regex"="True"
"Version"="*"

Best regards

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 2
Last update:
‎Jun 09, 2018 02:09 AM
Updated by:

Labels