cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A critical vulnerability in Apache Log4j 2 impacting versions 2.0-beta9 through 2.12.1 and versions 2.13.0 through 2.14.1 has been publicly disclosed. The vulnerability has been assigned the identifier CVE-2021-44228.

Cognos has been identified as potentially being affected by CVE-2021-44228. IBM’s Cognos is included in Flexera Analytics and is used as a reporting engine for FlexNet Manager Suite and FlexNet Manager for Engineering Applications. This article describes possible mitigation steps that can be applied to Cognos, as used in Flexera Analytics, until a formal hotfix is issued.

Affected users should do one of the following:

• Follow the IBM remediation options.

or

• Remove Flexera Analytics (Cognos) from the computer where it is installed.

IBM remediation options

IBM has published general guidance and remediation options at the following location: An update on the Apache Log4j 2.x vulnerabilities.

A summary of IBM’s recommendations to its clients:

ibm recommends.png

Removal of JndiLookup Class

To remove the JndiLookup class on an installation of Flexera Analytics (Cognos):

1. Make a backup copy of log4j-core-2.7.jar found here (where "<number>" is a number that depends on the Cognos version installed):  C:\Program Files\ibm\cognos\analytics\wlp\usr\servers\dataset-service\workarea\org.eclipse.osgi\<number>\0\.cp

2. Copy the same log4j-core-2.7.jar file to a directory you have write access to.

3. Open the copy of log4j-core-2.7.jar in a program like 7Zip.

log4j.png

4. Delete the file JndiLookup.class.
jndi.lookup.class.png
5. Save the updated .jar file archive.

6. Copy the updated log4j-core-2.7.jar file back to the original location: C:\Program Files\ibm\cognos\analytics\wlp\usr\servers\dataset-service\workarea\org.eclipse.osgi\<version>\0\.cp

7. Also replace the file in this location: C:\Program Files\ibm\cognos\analytics\wlp\usr\servers\cognosserver\workarea\org.eclipse.osgi\<version>\0\.cp

Remove Cognos

To uninstall Cognos, uninstall the IBM Cognos Analytics application through the Windows Add Remove Programs applet:

add remove ibm cognos.png

note blue light.pngNote: This will result in all Flexera Analytics functions being unavailable to users.

Changelog

2021-12-15 9:00am CST: Initial article.

2021-12-15 7:20pm CST: Update details to allow for directory names which may vary based on the version of Cognos.

Was this article helpful? Yes No
100% helpful (1/1)
Comments
DiannaB
By
Level 6

@AustinG Thanks for the detailed instructions.  In my installation the paths to the log4j-core-2.7.jar file are a bit different. Instead of 106 and 117 as illustrated above, we have 102 and 113.  Assuming I should remove the class file from the jar in those directories?

Thanks!

AustinG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

@DiannaB The path you see above was created based on the latest versions we have. If the class files in those other paths match exactly as shown above, then they should be removed. 

lclute
By
Level 3

Also found that file in 102 as well.

C:\Program Files\ibm\cognos\analytics\wlp\usr\servers\cognosserver\workarea\org.eclipse.osgi\102\0\.cp

ChrisG
Community Manager

Thankyou for the helpful feedback @DiannaB and @lclute. The article has been updated to reflect the number in the directory path may vary across different versions of Cognos.

sohbinong
By
Level 5

1 clarification – on the mitigation step: We only have to do 1 of the following, else the 2nd option would require uninstallation of Flexera Analytics (Cognos)
Program/ software from the server itself, which renders the reporting engine invalid.

Affected users should do one of the following:
1. Follow IBM remediation options.
Removal of JndiLookup Class,
From: https://www.ibm.com/blogs/psirt/an-update-on-the-apache-log4j-cve-2021-44228-vulnerability/

2. Remove Flexera Analytics (Cognos) from the computer where it is installed.

ChrisG
Community Manager

@sohbinong - correct: either remove the JndiLookup class, or remove Flexera Analytics (Cognos). It doesn't make sense to attempt both mitigation steps.

sohbinong
By
Level 5

Thanks @ChrisG 

The bulletin is out from IBM on Cognos Analytics.
https://www.ibm.com/blogs/psirt/security-bulletin-ibm-cognos-analytics-apache-log4j-vulnerability-cve-2021-44228/

Can please advise what is the Eventual Patching for Cognos 11.x and the timeline this will be fixed for FNMS on-premises. Thanks.

ChrisG
Community Manager

Awesome - great find @sohbinong. Thanks for sharing that link! I'll make sure the Flexera technical teams are aware of this, and look to ensure this page and the CVE-2021-44228 summary page are updated with any information about patching possibilities as it becomes available.

sohbinong
By
Level 5

Thanks @ChrisG 

pavol_holes
By
Level 6

Hello,

in the IBM KB Security Bulletin: IBM Cognos Analytics: Apache log4j Vulnerability (CVE-2021-44228) is now a list of fixes where I see a fix for IBM Cognos Analytics which is used by the Flexera FNMS: Cognos Analytics 11.0.13 Interim Fix 3.

Can we get an estimate when the hotfix will be released by Flexera for the Flexera Analytics?

Thank you!

Best regards,

Pavol

pavol_holes
By
Level 6

Hello,

FYI, Apache released information that the 2.16 was still vulnerable here and also release version 2.17.

So I assume the "Removal of JndiLookup Class" didn't fix the issue. IBM didn't update the instructions for this on their web, so also their fixed installation packages will probably have the 2.16 libraries which are vulnerable. Please be cautious.

In my environment I have stopped and disabled the IBM Cognos service on the Analytics server and deleted the log4j-core.jar files in both locations. FNMS is still working without this part without any issues.

Regards,

Pavol

ChrisG
Community Manager

@pavol_holes - no timeframe has been announced yet for when Flexera Analytics with the updated Cognos release from IBM will be available, but Flexera's technical teams are actively investigating it. Keep watching this article here for updates.

I have not seen any information that suggests the Log4j 2.16 version is still vulnerable to CVE-2021-44228 (i.e. the vulnerability which may allow remote execution). Everything I've seen suggests that vulnerability is still safely mitigated by either of the steps described in this article (i.e. turning off the software, or removing the JndiLookup class). Have you seen anything that suggests otherwise?

From the page you linked I understand that the 2.17 version of Log4j addresses another vulnerability (CVE-2021-45105). If exploited, this vulnerability may result in a DOS (Denial of Service) attack. For the use of Flexera Analytics and Cognos in the context of FlexNet Manager Suite or FlexNet Manager for Engineering Applications running an internal corporate environment where it typically has a relatively small number of users for purposes that are not business critical, this would be unlikely to be material concern.

sushant_narula
By
Level 6

@ChrisG / @AustinG ,

I found the log4j-core-2.7.jar at two locations :

D:\Program Files\ibm\cognos\analytics\wlp\usr\servers\dataset-service\workarea\org.eclipse.osgi\102\0\.cp

D:\ProgramFiles\ibm\cognos\analytics\wlp\usr\servers\cognosserver\workarea\org.eclipse.osgi\113\0\.cp

All I need to update this log4j-core-2.7.jar only at the two locations as per the steps given, should I be worried about other log4j jar files (such as log4j-api-2.7.jar,  log4j-web-2.7.jar, etc)

@brian_lentini 

Thanks,
Sushant

ChrisG
Community Manager

@sushant_narula - the CVE-2021-44228 vulnerability is related to code that is typically in the log4j-core-*.jar file. You don't need to worry about the other files that you're finding on the Cognos system there; based on the information on the page at https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/security.html I understand those files don't contain the code with the vulnerability.

raghuvaran_ram
By
Level 6

@ChrisG  there is mitigation provided by IBM for the users using cognos

https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/node/6526474

when we try to access this page there is a link within this page "To get the patch and detailed instructions, click this link" and it's asking for access. As per my understanding when we install Cognos I was told there are no separate licenses that are required as Cognos licenses are included as part of the analytics module, so what should we now check with IBM. please assist

ChrisG
Community Manager

@raghuvaran_ram - if you have a standalone installation of Cognos then downloading a patch from IBM as per the information you've found from IBM may be an appropriate path forward. However for the Cognos modules that are included in the Flexera Analytics component that is part of FlexNet Manager Suite and FlexNet Manager for Engineering Applications, Flexera's current recommendations are reflected in the guidance contained within in this article here.

jrobs3
By
Level 4

In the "IBM's recommendations to it clients" section of this, bullet item 2 refers to "Implement latest patch to production environments as soon as possible". When attempting to access the IBM site to get the patch we are being prompted for a login. Is there somewhere else we can get it? 

Check out this link here from IBM: To get the patch and detailed instructions, click this link: log4jSafeAgent

ChrisG
Community Manager

@jrobs3 - Flexera is working with IBM to look at getting an updated version of Cognos that will work with Flexera Analytics, and this article will be updated with details in due course.

In the meantime, the mitigation steps described in this article to either remove the vulnerable JndiLookup class from systems (I would expect this is going to typically be the preferred option) or uninstall Cognos are recommended.

devi_g
By
Level 3

As per the recommendation the JndiLookup class was removed from log4j-core-2.7.jar earlier this month and I am seeing the class file now showing up in the jar file again. Has anyone else observed the same? Will cognos work if the log4j-core-*.jar file is completely removed? 

ChrisG
Community Manager

@devi_g - I haven't heard of the .jar file magically being reverted. If you remove the class again, does it come back again?

I don't know, but suspect that Cognos would struggle if the .jar file is deleted off the filesystem entirely. If you want to try that I would proceed cautiously. (I expect it would be easy enough to revert by replacing the file back again if it does cause problems.)

devi_g
By
Level 3

Hi @ChrisG, that is correct. I followed the steps to remove the file as above (Removal of JndiLookup Class), the JndiLookup.class comes back again in the log4j-core-2.7.jar once Cognos restarts. I am observing this with both FNMEA and FNMS. I've opened a ticket with Support to look into this.

ymhadjou
By
Level 5

Hi @devi_g  we are have the same situation as you. JndiLookup.class comes back again in the log4j-core-2.7.jar 

Did you have an answer from your support case ?

ChrisG
Community Manager

@ymhadjou - I believe @devi_g's issue ended up being because the tool they were using for editing the .jar file contents didn't actually delete the JndiLookup.class file from the .jar file in the first place. So I'd double check that the class file has actually been deleted.

Ronny_OO7
By Level 8 Champion
Level 8 Champion

Hi Chris,

We have noticed at my customer that the article is missing some JndiLookup class files.

The thirtpartycertificateTool.jar also contains the JndiLookup class files.

Can you please extend the article? And confirm that it will be included in the fixed? thirdpartycertifcateTool.gif

ChrisG
Community Manager

@Ronny_OO7 - thanks for noting that. I've passed this on to the appropriate engineers to consider whether this represents a potential exposure to any vulnerabilities.

Ronny_OO7
By Level 8 Champion
Level 8 Champion

@ChrisG  Your welcome and thank you for your help!

Version history
Last update:
‎Jul 18, 2022 12:11 PM
Updated by: