cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summary

Object reference not set to an instance of an object: when importing intermediate data from a Beacon.

Symptoms

When performing a compliance import this fails with the following error message and the intermediate data from the Beacon that has been uploaded is moved into the 'Bad packages' folder under the default path 'C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Beacon\IntermediateData'.

No intermediate path specified, using default output path C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Beacon\IntermediateData.
Performing import
ERROR: Loading package file C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Beacon\IntermediateData\I[S=<ConnectionName > ]_20140901082122.zip has failed
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Moved bad package I[S= ConnectionName ]_20140901082122.zip to folder C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Beacon\IntermediateData\BadPackages
Importing from 'ManageSoft' [type: ManageSoft] (primary connection)

Cause

This issue is caused by a trailing space in the 'Connection Name' when this was entered in the Beacon User Interface (UI), the space can be seen in the example highlighted below and also in the 'package.xml', '<ConnectionName>' element when you browse the contents on the .zip file.

The space in the following example of the package.zip is between the 'e' at the end of connection name and the closing brace ']'.

'I[S=ConnectionName ]_20140901082122.zip'

Resolution

This issue is resolved be editing the ?Connection Name? column for the connection in question and ensuring there are no trailing spaces in the name. Once this has been update run the import again on the beacon and when the file has been uploaded to the Intermediate folder perform a compliance import and the data should be imported.

Additional Information

Additional information on the compliance import can be located in the FNMP Operations Guide and the System Reference guide for the command line options.

Was this article helpful? Yes No
No ratings
Version history
Last update:
‎May 14, 2019 11:49 AM
Updated by: