cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summary

This article discusses the current support in the FlexNet inventory agent for running on IBM Z mainframe systems.

Question

Does the FlexNet inventory agent support IBM Z mainframe operating systems?

Answer

FlexNet inventory agent versions 19.2 and later support Linux running on IBM zSystems (also known as “s390x” or “z/Architecture”, which is an architecture developed and supported by IBM) and LinuxONE platforms

See the following page for announcement details about this capability: Support for Linux on IBM zSystems and LinuxONE

Was this article helpful? Yes No
100% helpful (2/2)
Comments
darwin_hammons
By
Level 3

The Status of this case

An enhancement request to support Z systems is being tracked under IOJ-1754050.

Vijayflexera
By
Level 4

Do we have any workaround to get discovery data from IBM mainframe servers. 

If yes, please provide the details. 

kclausen
By
Flexera Alumni

@Vijayflexera  - The workaround is to use another Discovery Tool that supports the mainframe, such as TAD4Z and then import the inventory from that tool into FlexNet Manager.

Vijayflexera
By
Level 4

Thanks for your inputs! But Tivoli licenses need to be procured or any free versions available for usage. 

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
@Vijayflexera - I am not aware of any free products (Tivoli or otherwise) that can gather hardware and software inventory from IBM mainframe environments and make it available in a form that would be suitable for importing into FlexNet Manager Suite. I only know of commercial products that cost money.
alaine_perrott
By
Level 2

Any update on the enhancement request IOJ-1754050?

Flex-Jeremy
By Technical Writer
Technical Writer

This enhancement request is still pending. At this time we do not have an ETA on when this would be added to the Inventory agent. 

hkaufman
By
Level 2

We are also interested in an agent version running under zLinux.

Steffen
By
Level 6

In the latest release 2022r2 (19.0) OnPrem there is an Agent available for Linux on z/OS.

We installed it on a SUSE guest (using root user).

But there are a few thinks not showing as expected:

• in FNMS it is calssified as a Host - I would expect a VM
  • there is no Serial Number shown
  • I'm missing some Hierachy, like LPAR and Host which seams to be present in the ndi file (3Layers)
  • each of the 3 layer has detailed HW info in the ndi file but only layer 3 is showing up as host but inside ndi file labled as "Layer3TypeName" Value="z/VM-guest"

We dont use "Assets" in FNMS - is this possibly a prerequisite?

I also could not find any Flexera documentation onto this topic

Any comments are welcome or should I open up a case here?

greetings

Steffen

jcp_haumersen
By
Level 3

Hello,

I was told that the FlexNet agent for zLinux was planned for FNMS 2023 R1 (on prem).

Is this correct ?

Kind Regards,

John

AamerSharif
By Level 9 Flexeran
Level 9 Flexeran

Hi @jcp_haumersen,

For Flexera One (Cloud) customers it will be available in Q1 2023 and for On-Prem it will be part of the FNMS 2023 R1 (on-prem) release.

The focus of this release is Linux on IBM Z z/VM/KVM.

Thanks

Aamer

Steffen
By
Level 6

Thanks for confirmation Aamer,

we are really looking forward for that functionality in 2023R1 OnPrem!

currently, using Agent 19 for z/os on FNMW 2022R2 (onPrem) the ndi files will be produced just fine and find their way into FNMSInventory. In FNMSCompliance though they are not visable most of the time, even each having unique AgentID. I expect that this functionality (3 Layers, Guest, LPAR, Mainframe) will be solved/created in the next on Prem release like already stated. Looks like in the current release the different guests will be merged (overwritten) and sometimes even enter as "VM Host"...so still some open topics to be resoved until next release...

I fully understand that this functionality is not offically supported right now (enven though Flexera provided tha Agent Install Source!)

Thanks and greetings

Steffen

Christopher212
By
Level 3

Does this include support for inventory of z/OS by the Flexera agent?

AamerSharif
By Level 9 Flexeran
Level 9 Flexeran

Hi @Christopher212 

Flexera agent for IBM zSystem does not support z/OS at this stage. I would love to hear which commercial applications you and other community members are running on IBM Z z/OS. you can share details through email if it helps.

Thank you!
Aamer

Christopher212
By
Level 3

Hello @AamerSharif ,

z/OS is still used for Mainframe 

Regards,

Christopher

Wevans
By
Level 2

Banks are still using Z/OS mainframe for their core systems, and these will not be going away any time soon. Is there any plan to release an agent that can discover z/OS, if not how can we get this onto the roadmap?

Version history
Last update:
‎Jun 05, 2023 07:02 PM
Updated by: