cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

what happen in initial agent policy is not downloaded for a number of days due to connectivity issue ?

i have below concerns regarding agent 3rd prty deployment .

suppose the initial agent policy is not downloaded for days due to connectivity issue between agent and beacon server , then 

1. How often the agent will check the connectivity to beacon server
  2. Will the agent download the policy immediately once the initial connectivity is established 
  3. Similarly inventory gathering and upload will also be triggered after the agent policy update .

Can you please guide me with the steps of process involved in case an installed agent is missed to communicate with beacon for more than 2 weeks .

Regards,

junaid vengadan

(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The FlexNet inventory agent uses the following default schedule settings from when it is first installed until the agent has successfully downloaded and applied schedule settings from its policy for the first time:

Event Triggers
Apply policy
  1. When the computer boots up
  2. When the operating system detects a new network connection

Once schedule settings from policy have been downloaded and applied by the agent, the following schedule details apply:

Event Triggers
Apply policy
  1. At a random time between 12:05am and 1:05am, then again at a random time between 12:05pm and 1:05pm
  2. When the computer boots up
  3. When the operating system detects a new network connection
Update beacon failover setting details
  1. When policy is applied
  2. At a random time between 12:15am and 1:15am
  3. When the computer boots up
  4. When the operating system detects a new network connection
Generate inventory (and attempt to upload it)

According to settings configured on the Discovery & Inventory > Settings page in the webUI. For example:

image.png

Upload any files that have been unable to be uploaded previously
  1. At a random time each day

I'm not sure if some details here may vary based on version of FlexNet Manager Suite, but these details are accurate at least for current versions (as of mid 2020).

For a more advanced approach to installing the agent with additional default schedule settings that apply before (unless) policy is downloaded, take a look at the following post: FNMS Inventory Agent Deployment

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(3) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

The FlexNet inventory agent uses the following default schedule settings from when it is first installed until the agent has successfully downloaded and applied schedule settings from its policy for the first time:

Event Triggers
Apply policy
  1. When the computer boots up
  2. When the operating system detects a new network connection

Once schedule settings from policy have been downloaded and applied by the agent, the following schedule details apply:

Event Triggers
Apply policy
  1. At a random time between 12:05am and 1:05am, then again at a random time between 12:05pm and 1:05pm
  3. When the operating system detects a new network connection
Update beacon failover setting details
  1. When policy is applied
  2. At a random time between 12:15am and 1:15am
  3. When the computer boots up
  4. When the operating system detects a new network connection
Generate inventory (and attempt to upload it)

According to settings configured on the Discovery & Inventory > Settings page in the webUI. For example:

image.png

Upload any files that have been unable to be uploaded previously
  1. At a random time each day

I'm not sure if some details here may vary based on version of FlexNet Manager Suite, but these details are accurate at least for current versions (as of mid 2020).

For a more advanced approach to installing the agent with additional default schedule settings that apply before (unless) policy is downloaded, take a look at the following post: FNMS Inventory Agent Deployment

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)
Thanks @ChrisG for the detailed write up.

just know bit more about the "New Network Connection"

Will this be applied to a newly opened connection to beacon server only (when other connections are active ) after few days of agent installation ?

The "new network connection" condition is an event raised by the operating system, and not specifically tied to a connection to a beacon being made or becoming available. The types of things that will trigger the operating system to raise a new network connection event are plugging in a network cable, enabling the network device, connecting to a new wifi connection point, possibly connecting to a VPN, etc.