cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Usage agent is configured not to run on this machine" message on Mac.

I have successfully installed the new Flexera agent v.14 on a Mac. When I look in the usageagent.log file I see this message. How do I configure this to turn on the Usage Agent? I don't see anything in any documentation. Here's the full log.

[Wed Nov 20 07:42:12 2019 (G, 0)] {116} Usage agent started
[Wed Nov 20 07:42:12 2019 (G, 0)] {116} mgsusageag: No supported /proc found, using ps(1)
[Wed Nov 20 07:42:12 2019 (G, 0)] {116} Entering low priority mode due to LowProfile preference
[Wed Nov 20 07:42:12 2019 (G, 0)] {116} Usage agent is configured not to run on this machine

Erick Hacking, CSAM, CHAMP
IT Software Asset Manager, Lead Sr.
(2) Solutions
mag00_75
By Level 8 Champion
Level 8 Champion

We have resolved the issue with a post-installation script

#!/bin/bash

CURRENT_USER=`/bin/ls -l /dev/console | /usr/bin/awk '{ print $3 }'`

/bin/cat <<EOF > /var/tmp/tempconfig.ini

[ManageSoft\Usage Agent\CurrentVersion]

Disabled=False

StartupDelay=600

Lowprofile=True

UploadPeriod=14400
SessionBackupPeriod=1800

[ManageSoft\Tracker\CurrentVersion]

Lowprofile=True

EOF

/opt/managesoft/bin/mgsconfig -i /var/tmp/tempconfig.ini

View solution in original post

@EHacking 

Did you succeed in creating the /var/tmp/tempconfig.ini? 

When running the  /opt/managesoft/bin/mgsconfig -i /var/tmp/tempconfig.ini

It will basically update the runtime configuration file, /var/opt/managesoft/etc/config.ini

if you open up config.ini then you will notice if your settings was applied, probably you need to restart the usage service or do the Windows way and restart the computer.

View solution in original post

(5) Replies
mag00_75
By Level 8 Champion
Level 8 Champion

We have resolved the issue with a post-installation script

#!/bin/bash

CURRENT_USER=`/bin/ls -l /dev/console | /usr/bin/awk '{ print $3 }'`

/bin/cat <<EOF > /var/tmp/tempconfig.ini

Disabled=False

StartupDelay=600

Lowprofile=True

UploadPeriod=14400
SessionBackupPeriod=1800

[ManageSoft\Tracker\CurrentVersion]

Lowprofile=True

EOF

/opt/managesoft/bin/mgsconfig -i /var/tmp/tempconfig.ini

Didn't work. I'm not a Mac expert, and so I don't know why it didn't work. Is there any way to see why it didn't work?
Erick Hacking, CSAM, CHAMP
IT Software Asset Manager, Lead Sr.

@EHacking 

Did you succeed in creating the /var/tmp/tempconfig.ini? 

When running the  /opt/managesoft/bin/mgsconfig -i /var/tmp/tempconfig.ini

It will basically update the runtime configuration file, /var/opt/managesoft/etc/config.ini

if you open up config.ini then you will notice if your settings was applied, probably you need to restart the usage service or do the Windows way and restart the computer.

Hi Erick,

What Chris suggested should have worked, provided that:

1. The Mac agent is updating policy correctly
  2. The target in the UI included the Mac device

As mentioned previously, what this does is modify /var/opt/managesoft/etc/config.ini and sets:

Disabled=False

So to check why it's not working, I'd first make sure that the target you made the change on includes the IP address for the Mac and then on the device itself, ensure that in the installation log under /var/opt/managesoft/logs the device is downloading policy.

If this is not happening or you're struggling further, you'll probably need a support case as we'll need logs and the BeaconPolicy.xml to look at the details specific to your environment.

(Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera)
If the solution provided has helped, please mark it as such as this helps everyone to know what works.
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

See the following sources for guidance here:

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)