cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

about understanding solaris global and non global zone

How to understand (where to see) if an inventored target is a solaris global zone or a non global zone? And in the second case which is its global zone assigned?

Thanks

(6) Replies

For Solaris, FNMS represents the global zone that manages and keeps track of host resources as a 'VM Host' type device, and non-global zones using resources from the global zone as virtual machine (VMs) type devices running on the host that represents the global zone.

This means that for any computer running Solaris, you get an additional 'VM Host' type Inventory device. This applies even to physical devices having no virtualization layer (LDOM, Zone) configured. You can test this by running '/usr/sbin/zoneadm list -p' on your Solaris machine.

Detailed information on Solaris virtualization can be found on the intro page and two sub-pages in the "Gathering FlexNet Inventory" documentation.

Let me give an example of what I found following your advice.

The detail of the server shown are attached.

The server I see here has appeared automatically since that 2239etc.. has not been targeted.

I see below the list of server that lies under this host (this is the place where I usually see for vmware guests) but I cannot understand what I'm seeing.

I see the first on the list have friendly name "global" is this the real name of the server 2239etc..?

I cannot find all the other information described in the documentation, where I can find those numbers?

Thanks community!

@marcog - The "2249087784" VM Host that you see is a "Placeholder" device created in FlexNet Manager that represents the capacity of the Logical Domain that your VMs are in - this does not represent the physical machine.

Should that placeholder be replaced by a real target? Which in the list of that ldom can be considered the global zone? The documentation is a bit poor on this topic and I don't know where to search the data I need. Thanks!
Sadly, didn't explain how to get global, non-global information