cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Extended Security Updates

Hi, while reviewing some NDI file I noticed there's recognized something like:

<Hardware Class="SoftwareLicensingProduct" Name="Windows(R) 7, Client-ESU-Year1 add-on for Enterprise,Professional,EnterpriseN,ProfessionalN,Ultimate" Evidence="WMI">

(and Year2, Year3). However I failed to find any Applications anyhow related to Windows ESU.

Is there / will there be an option to track consumption of Windows 7 / 2008 ESU in Flexera?

Windows 7 ESU licenses are device based.

(2) Solutions

@MrPotato  - this is a fantastic idea!

This would require an update to the Application Recognition Library - I would recommend you submit this request to Support.

In the interim, you could use this WMI Evidence to create a Local ARL Entry that you could then track the consumption of your Windows ESU Entitlements.

Kirk

View solution in original post

mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi @MrPotato,

I believe, while being imported into the FNMSInventory database, this data does not translate to any application or other license relevant object.

However, you should still be able to get to the details (assuming FNMS on-prem) and theoretically even create evidence from it, or at least allocate machines based on this detail.

SELECT
	c.ComputerCN
	,hc.Class
	,ho.HardwareName
	,hp.Property
	,hv.Value
FROM Computer c
JOIN HardwareObject ho
	ON c.ComputerID = ho.ComputerID
JOIN HardwareValue hv
	ON ho.HardwareObjectID = hv.HardwareObjectID
JOIN HardwareProperty hp
	ON hv.HardwarePropertyID = hp.HardwarePropertyID
JOIN HardwareClass hc
	ON ho.HardwareClassID = hc.HardwareClassID
	AND Class = 'SoftwareLicensingProduct'

Best regards,

Markward

View solution in original post

(3) Replies

@MrPotato  - this is a fantastic idea!

This would require an update to the Application Recognition Library - I would recommend you submit this request to Support.

In the interim, you could use this WMI Evidence to create a Local ARL Entry that you could then track the consumption of your Windows ESU Entitlements.

Kirk

mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi @MrPotato,

I believe, while being imported into the FNMSInventory database, this data does not translate to any application or other license relevant object.

However, you should still be able to get to the details (assuming FNMS on-prem) and theoretically even create evidence from it, or at least allocate machines based on this detail.

SELECT
	c.ComputerCN
	,hc.Class
	,ho.HardwareName
	,hp.Property
	,hv.Value
FROM Computer c
JOIN HardwareObject ho
	ON c.ComputerID = ho.ComputerID
JOIN HardwareValue hv
	ON ho.HardwareObjectID = hv.HardwareObjectID
JOIN HardwareProperty hp
	ON hv.HardwarePropertyID = hp.HardwarePropertyID
JOIN HardwareClass hc
	ON ho.HardwareClassID = hc.HardwareClassID
	AND Class = 'SoftwareLicensingProduct'

Best regards,

Markward

@kclausen yes, I thought about it but thing is I couldn't find this ESU-related evidence nowhere in Flexera (unrecognized evidence / recognized evidence / applications).

When I check evidence related to this specific device it only links back to Windows 7 itself. If it wasn't for me reviewing NDI files and looking for something else I would've never known there's something like that in the NDI.

@mfranz thanks, I'll look into it.